Potential Business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baroo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all -
I am thinking of heading south and starting up an underwater yacht maintenance company - hull cleanings, inspections, minor repairs etc... What do you all think? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

I was down in Key West about two years ago, walking the piers at the marina there by the Turtle Kraal resturant and a fellow was working in the water on a big powerboat. He had a scuba tank in a red coaster wagon, and a long (30') hose to his second stage. He was in a dive skin and carrying very little weight. I don't know if he was changing a prop, or a cutlass bearing or what??? The only down side to what you are saying is, have you ever looked a the water in a marina? Most of the water is really oily and nasty.... Diving under a boat out in the bay is one thing, diving in the marina where everyone is dumping junk over the side is a different matter.....

Just my $.02

Thanks for the info tom -

I don't think I'd have a problem finding work as I already have a few connections (at least I think so) but my hesitation revolves around what you mentioned.... all the cr@p in the water... I imagine the diving would be in the inner coastal water way and that water is just nasty....

I wonder what health risks are in/out there?

the health risks of diving in/around marinas can be considerable!
A lot of boats are discharging waste water into the water, as well as the fact that these tend to be areas of slow-moving water, therefore far more alge, etc.
Also, make sure that the marina knows what you are doing, as they may take a dim view of you diving for profit in a high boat traffic area.

(just my opinion)

Get permission from the marina too hand out fliers to everybody there that shows the dive flag and what it means. I'm sure people down there are a little more literate when it comes to the dive flag, but up here..fuuuugggeetttaabbooouutt it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom