Post your boats!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veggiedog:
View of Lake Travis (outside Austin, TX) from the top of my mast (notice the climbing gear?).
View of my boat at night in the slip.

1969 Pearson Wanderer

2250 psi cornelius compressor
2Kw PROSine Inverter (I strongly recommend PROSine inverters to anyone interested in inverters)
370 Ah Battery power (250lbs of deep cycle batteries)
Onkyo 700 Watt Surround Sound Receiver, 200 Watt subwoofer (dual 12 inch)
New full batten, extended roach mainsail
Relocated mainsheet to mid boom from end boom (hand built)
12000 BTU AC/Heat Pump
12V/120V refrigerated ice box
19in Flat Panel LCD
Shuttle Small Form Factor PC, 2GHz AMD Athlon, digital 5.1 sound

Old pictures. I have started into the design phase of a retractable rear dive platform. Also working on adding scuba tank storage to cockpit lockers.

Is that SNOW I see in the hillsides in the backgroud ???

How big is that lake? Looks like lots of islands and bays to visit. Nice! Any good diving there also?

I love sailing myself. For the moment I have no sailboat, but it's on my list! Here's the one I learned to sail in. 23 knots on flat water is a "breeze". Yes, it did go that fast under sail.... :D

dragonfly25.jpg

Reidar

Ahhh, Lake Travis! Brings back lots of memories as that and Canyon Lake were the lakes that I learned to dive in oh so many years ago (back when Austin was a small college town). Oh yes! My first boat I ran all over Lake Travis in my Sun Tracker Party Barge.

Snow?

Oh yeah, snow, the stuff "snow cones" are made from. I like cherry snow cones. :wink:

Sorry about the quality of the photo, but it was actually a photo of my masthead, so the scenery is a bit blurry. The "snow" is bare limestone : the hills you see are composed of limestone (I got a laugh from your question though: it rarely snows here). The remainder of the hills are covered with Juniper (cedar) trees. Rumor has that the hills were originally barren, covered only in light grasses and larger trees, but horses brought over from Spain centuries ago brought cedar with them, and cedar now thrives in this area as a result. That's what my slip neighbor tells me anyhow...

Lake Travis has an irregular shore line that follows a meandering riverbed. Probably 60 miles or so from the dam to the top of the lake following the riverbed. Only a few small islands: you are looking out onto the lake from a cove, there are numerous coves on the lake, several tributaries (creek feeds) too. The picture shows the lake filled to the brim, it is 15 feet or so lower now (maybe more). When it's full, I think the max depth is around 180' or so. The shore along the outside of the bends in the lake are usually mostly vertical drops to the bottom of the lake (old river bed), the inner shores on the bends are gently sloped.

I like sailing because it is solar powered. My boat is much slower than the trimaran: tops out at about 8 knots or so. I am not in a hurry though, the boat is more seaworthy (and comfortable) than fast. I often entertain the thought of making an Atlantic crossing to explore Europe. That'll come after exploring The Gulf (of Mexico) and Central American water first, but I don't have plans on doing that anytime soon. Sticking to the lake for now.

The boat you have in your yard will make a great dive boat. I hope to outfit mine so that diving is an integral part of the layout, but getting in and out of the water and walking around will never compare to the ease that you will experience on that boat. Beautiful trimaran too, nice looking crew.

wreckdiver1715:
Ahhh, Lake Travis! Brings back lots of memories as that and Canyon Lake were the lakes that I learned to dive in oh so many years ago (back when Austin was a small college town). Oh yes! My first boat I ran all over Lake Travis in my Sun Tracker Party Barge.

I also learned to dive in Travis and Canyon (San Marcos too), during the 80s. I'm still diving there though...

mnj1233:
Come join us for a dive or two!!!!!!
Hey... that's mighty generous of you posting an open invitation for a couple of free dives. Hope some of our Scuba Board members can take you up on it. I know if I were heading out your way I would. We have done the same several times for folks who have come out here to the PNW.

Uncle Pug:
That is going to be a great dive boat Kompressor! Nice garden and yard too.
I agree, nice boat. Here's the boat I'm building. Here's a picture of it ( not mine, but the model). It's an 18 ft "glue & stitch" kit. Currently I've only gotten the hull together, and need to finish fibreglass-ing it before turning it over and starting on the deck, cabin etc. I hope to have it in the water the spring of '07.
C-Dawg

You've posted some more cool boats in my thread, thanks guys!

When we go on trips to "our place" Hitra we sometimes rent this 50 ft wooden boat, "Miss Linda", for longer daytrips. It's really nice to relax on deck, or under, with a beer, along with 12-15 other happy divers on our way back to where we stay. When we go on this boat we usually tow the 27 ft alu with us and anchor Miss Linda in a nice island harbor called Mausund. We use the alu to pop out to sea for diving. Between dives we have dinner at a nice little restaurant there. They serve some nice whale steak there :D But you can have the world's best halibut with butter sauce too if you like.

Miss Linda

Miss Linda

27 ft alu

Under deck on Miss Linda, after diving
(Yes, it was steaming!!)

Miss Linda has a slow turning 270 hp 6 cyl Caterpillar diesel and makes a steady 9 knots cruising without much noise.

I have a picture gallery from this trip also, with several hundred pictures, if you'd like to see more: http://www.turut.no/hitra_oktober_2005.htm

Gotta give you a picture of Mausund as well!

mot_sjoblomsten.jpg

© Peder Mauseth

I don't know yet which US scuba magazine that made a list of the world's ten greatest places for scuba diving. Hitra was among the top ten. I'll find out which magazine it was...

Back
Top Bottom