Post your best diving tips!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter how fast you ascend and how hard you fin upwards, you will not manage to clear the water and jump into the boat in one leap, so don't risk injury by trying. :wink:

miketsp:
.... The bottles now come marked with "Poisonous, do not breathe fumes, avoid skin contact, wear solvent resistant gloves and clothing. Contact safety equipment suppliers/ manufacturers."
So the idea of putting it in ear-drops would not seem to align with these newer recommendations even though it is still used in some rubbing alcohol mixtures and has been (is?) used as a skin disinfectant.

The labels are on there because OSHA requires it and the MSDS that comes with that product dictates it.

You should read the MSDS for Sodium Chloride (Plain ole salt). It would scare you to death, yet it's a big component of our bodies and some of you more fortunate folks get to dive in it regularly.

I would avoid using methanol in the ears. Methanol is used in some portable and ( I think) marine stoves and might be tempting to use. Isopropyl or ethanol ought to be o.k.

Whilst diving in the Caribbean, you could get some of that hi-octane rum that is available down there and use it as a substitute.

torrey:
Can isopropyl alcohol be substituted for grain alcohol?
I would say NO, don't do it.

Isopropyl alcohol is synthetic alcohol created from propylene, which is obtained in the cracking of petroleum or by the reduction of acetone. It is not a natural product. Grain alcohol is distilled from grain products (as the name says).

The problem with isopropyl alcohol is that you have no idea what other chemicals were used in the creation of the substance and if the final product is actually "safe" for topical contact. Additionally, I wouldn't really classify your eardrum as "topical" or regular "skin." It's a very thin specialized membrane that can easily be irritated or damaged. Many medical workers use hand cleaning solutions with isopropyl products in them. Some develop rashes, irritation, etc. Do you really want to chance this in your EAR?

Besides, my Doctor told me to use the grain version...

Just my thoughts...

Rishidian:
I think I can translate: (wear) Pantyhose to put on your wet suit, even on the arms don't be affraid of looking rediculous!)
..snip..
Being a guy, the only problem I have is getting my wife to understand (so far, I've managed to keep it secret from her).

You do realise that you're going to have quite a problem if your wife finds a panty hose in your bag after you get back from a dive trip with your buddies....

I'd make sure she knows I'm taking them from home. :wink:

When checking your regs/air, exhale into the reg first, tends to clear out anything nasty that may be in there. I almost swallowed a big a##ed bug when I forgot this.

Okay, this ought not be a "tip", but just in case...

*Breathe* each of your second stages to be sure they're in working order before you drop in.

(I've seen new divers just hit the purge. I guess nobody ever told them that a second stage with a torn diaphragm will purge just fine, but you probably wouldn't want to have to breathe off it. Obviously, I gently enlighten them, for which they are usually quite thankful.)

Has "dive safely" been stated yet?

Michael

I saw this in another thread and it works! Never forgot anything!

Stu S.:
Before you pack your gear bag, lay out everything on the floor in the shape of a diver. By looking over the "diver" you made, you are less likely to forget anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom