Post your best diving tips!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torrey:
Can isopropyl alcohol be substituted for grain alcohol?
Yes, on Tektite we used ethanol because we had a bunch in the lab for pickling specimens

Someone said to pee in your wetsuit, but plz be kind to the others on the boat and wash it out. Even if you dont pee in it, wash every now and then cus they do start to smell

this may be a given tip but will post anyway.

When doing a boat dive (private boat), hang a line over the side with a large clip attached to the end. When ending a dive, clip the line to your BC, inflate, and remove BC, then climb on boat. This works very well with integrated weights so you dont have to climb up with all the gear on you. You can then pull up the gear once you are on board. Makes for easier getting on boat especially if its a little rough.

hope it helps

Make up a check off list and laminate it. I go over it before I pack up for every dive and ever since I seldom ever forget anything.

Rishidian:
I think I can translate: (wear) Pantyhose to put on your wet suit, even on the arms don't be affraid of looking rediculous!)

I got this tip here, and it was confirmed by my LDS. With pantyhose on, I can don my farmer johns in about 30 seconds - without, it took over 5 minutes of struggling (and overheating).

Being a guy, the only problem I have is getting my wife to understand (so far, I've managed to keep it secret from her).

Exactly what I meant, thanks for the clarification Rishidian.

torrey:
Can isopropyl alcohol be substituted for grain alcohol?

Thalassamania:
Yes, on Tektite we used ethanol because we had a bunch in the lab for pickling specimens

Since I work in an electronics related industry Isopropyl alcohol is a very common product for cleaning but in the last couple of years there has been a radical tightening of safety procedures related to this product. The bottles now come marked with "Poisonous, do not breathe fumes, avoid skin contact, wear solvent resistant gloves and clothing. Contact safety equipment suppliers/ manufacturers."
So the idea of putting it in ear-drops would not seem to align with these newer recommendations even though it is still used in some rubbing alcohol mixtures and has been (is?) used as a skin disinfectant.

There are a lot of good ideas on here and most of mine were taken by the end. So I made this one up.

No seriously, keep a running record of exposure protection, gear, and the lead necessary to keep you neutral with 500 psi at 15ft. You dont have to re-invent the wheel.

Greg, just admit it. You slipped up and told us all you wear panties. You do live in gay Paris.:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

miketsp:
Since I work in an electronics related industry Isopropyl alcohol is a very common product for cleaning but in the last couple of years there has been a radical tightening of safety procedures related to this product. The bottles now come marked with "Poisonous, do not breathe fumes, avoid skin contact, wear solvent resistant gloves and clothing. Contact safety equipment suppliers/ manufacturers."
So the idea of putting it in ear-drops would not seem to align with these newer recommendations even though it is still used in some rubbing alcohol mixtures and has been (is?) used as a skin disinfectant.
You may well be right, or it just may be the legal bumph that we're seeing with just about everything. I really don't know. I suspect that, like most things, it is dose and individual sensitivity dependent. I have no hesitation using it in my ear drops, but I might feel differently if I had to sit arround and breathe the fumes all day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom