Post your best diving tips!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

OK, let's see if we can make this work. I'm looking for good tips. Little things that just make things easier or more manageable. PLEASE, no flames. No "I'd never dive with anyone who did that" remarks. If those start, the entire thread will just dissolve into a long, stupid debate. Some of these may be a big "duh" for most of you but remember, we were all newbies at some point...

Here are some of mine:

-I do a lot of drift diving so I carry my own signal tube. I usually inflate it at around 20', go negative bouyancy and reel myself up to 15' for the safety stop. I tied a knot in the line at 15' to make things easy.

-Carry what you need, but resist the urge to "kitchen sink." I was on a dive once with this lady that had crap clipped all over her BC. Fish charts, sponge charts, tables, a slate, light, etc. It was WAY more than she needed and I could see her struggling with all of it on the dive.

-Always clip your computer/spg in the same place. You should be able to put your hand on it without looking for the hose. This really make things easier and more comfortable when you just "know" where that guage is.

-On a night dive, choose a light that's appropriate for the dive. Those 1.21 jigawatt lights are overkill on a shallow dive in clear water. They also scare off most of what you want to see.

-If your mask fogs no matter what you do to it, try this: Use a cigarette lighter to heat the inside of the glass. Don't get it too hot and keep the flame moving. Clean it with some soap or something afterwards. I swear this works. I threw my mask in the trash can after a dive once because I was so frustrated with it. A DM pulled it out and did this trick and I've been using that same mask since then!

Stop moving and BREATHE before you touch your inflator when adjusting buoyancy.

Rachel

make sure you have your air turned on ;@)

-Keep your ascent rate in check after your safety stop. People do get bent after a safety stop because they have ascended too fast afterwards.

-When coming up the ascent line after diving a popular wreck (such as the Spiegel Grove), please be mindful of those below you when doing your S.S.; carrying a John line is always a good idea on these dives.

- panty to put on the wet suit, even on the arms (don't be affraid of looking ridiculous!).

-50% vinegar 50% water in the ears after diving to avoid swimmers ear.

-toothpaste to clean the slate

Interlock your fingers, clasping your hands in front of your abdomen when you aren't carrying cameras/spearguns/game bags, etc. You shouldn't be waving your arms when you dive this indicates a need to do something with your bc. Vent or inflate a bit if you feel the need to unclasp your hands and use them to swim while cruising.
Ber :lilbunny:

Dont do dives with new equipment (not tried before). Try out new equipment in a pool or such first. You dont want to find out that something doesnt work, can find/configure something on a major dive or on the trip itself.

Also bring head protection in case you have to wait for a long time to be picked up.

gregorio:
- panty to put on the wet suit, even on the arms (don't be affraid of looking ridiculous!).

Translation please.

gregorio:
-50% vinegar 50% water in the ears after diving to avoid swimmers ear.

Vinegar/alcohol is even better.

Always carry a small light and a buddy line.

Back
Top Bottom