Post-Surgery: Advice for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI: there are something like 37 boat-only dive sites in Bonaire, with 26 of them being in Klein Bonaire. Of the 11 that are on the main island, several of them are among the best dives on Bonaire, for example Rappel, Country Garden, and Jeff Davis Memorial (not the U.S. Jeff Davis, but a different one).

I'm sure this will come as a surprise to some, but it is OK to go to Bonaire and do ONLY boat dives, with maybe some from the dock in front of your resort. The package we go to Buddy Dive on has 9 boat dives included, and extras are $30.

I've watched VERY experienced and agile divers fall on a number of walk-in shore entries; they just fall more gracefully, and perhaps hurt themselves less, but they still fall.

I see no reason for the OPs to push their luck. They can walk in at Bari in front of Den Laman, and do boat dives, and have a great trip.

With respect to Den Laman and diving therefrom, there is no need to enter from the beach. Assuming the divers are using Dive Friends as their shop, by far the simplest and easiest entry is a giant stride off the dock. Someone noted above that it is possible to hit the bottom when stepping off the dock. Yes it is, but if you do even a marginally correct giant stride this will not happen. A partially inflated BC also helps. Depth is about 10-12 ft. My wife and I have done probably 300 entries striding from that dock and never touched the bottom. Second choice for entry would be the stairs. Stairs, not ladder, with two solid railings. Each hand can hold on as needed.

Sand Dollar has stairs on the Buddy side too. No idea what the relationship is between them and Den Laman, back when we stayed at SD we couldn't use the pier but I gather than changed since.

Most folks who stay at Sand Dollar and Den Laman use Dive Friends which is situated adjacent and between the two condo complexes. By doing so, those who are divers can use the dock which is rented by Dive Friends from the company that actually owns it. Anyone who was a guest at either place should have been able to have access to the dock, just as now, but when Andre and his Bonaire Dive and Adventure still functioned, he controlled the dock, not Dive Friends. BDA is gone and Dive Friends is now the sole on-site dive shop. Dive using their shop at the Sand Dollar location and you will have get access to their rented dock. Such access is limited to divers residing in Den Laman or Sand Dollar.

Most folks who stay at Sand Dollar and Den Laman use Dive Friends which is situated adjacent and between the two condo complexes. By doing so, those who are divers can use the dock which is rented by Dive Friends from the company that actually owns it. Anyone who was a guest at either place should have been able to have access to the dock, just as now, but when Andre and his Bonaire Dive and Adventure still functioned, he controlled the dock, not Dive Friends. BDA is gone and Dive Friends is now the sole on-site dive shop. Dive using their shop at the Sand Dollar location and you will have get access to their rented dock. Such access is limited to divers residing in Den Laman or Sand Dollar.
That was very well stated and accurate. Will be nice when the dock is fully repaired- any idea when that will be?

That was very well stated and accurate. Will be nice when the dock is fully repaired- any idea when that will be?
Hi @lmorin

When we visited in December, we heard that dock repairs had been significantly delayed due a problem with permits, but that they would proceed soon. Any additional insight?
upload_2018-1-17_15-26-41.png

Are you guys saying that the dock is unusable??? It certainly looks like that is the case from that photo!

Are you guys saying that the dock is unusable??? It certainly looks like that is the case from that photo!
Yes and no- It is not as fully functional as it would be normally in its Heyday, but... you can still walk out on it and descend and ascend up the step/ladder safely. Also, the dive boat still comes and goes safely from there. No worries. Still the best spot for you guys!

Hi @tcpip95

Sorry, I did not mean to mislead you with my photo. I was just interested in finding out when the repairs would be completed. The dock is infinitely usable in its current state. The first part of the dock is intact and includes a gear bench and the stairs. The middle of the dock is under construction. There is a walkway to the end of the dock where there is another gear bench, a good place for a giant stride entry, and a place for the boats to come and go with divers. I'm spoiled by knowing what the dock was like on my visit in 2008, it will get back there.

By the way, here is the dive guide I mentioned some time ago. Dive Guide Bonaire is a Dutch publication, I believe the only one translated to English. It is very well written and illustrated. It contains a lot of additional information about Bonaire. It may only be available on the island, the website is in Dutch www.caribbeandiveguides.com
upload_2018-1-17_18-15-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_18-13-44.png
    upload_2018-1-17_18-13-44.png
    261 KB · Views: 48
Hi @tcpip95

Sorry, I did not mean to mislead you with my photo. I was just interested in finding out when the repairs would be completed. The dock is infinitely usable in its current state. The first part of the dock is intact and includes a gear bench and the stairs. The middle of the dock is under construction. There is a walkway to the end of the dock where there is another gear bench, a good place for a giant stride entry, and a place for the boats to come and go with divers. I'm spoiled by knowing what the dock was like on my visit in 2008, it will get back there.

By the way, here is the dive guide I mentioned some time ago. Dive Guide Bonaire is a Dutch publication, I believe the only one translated to English. It is very well written and illustrated. It contains a lot of additional information about Bonaire. It may only be available on the island, the website is in Dutch www.caribbeandiveguides.com
View attachment 442569
https://www.amazon.com/Dive-guide-B...1516233010&sr=8-1&keywords=dive+guide+bonaire

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom