Post-Surgery: Advice for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several comments:
(1) stairs/ladders can be difficult if there are knee problems
(2) in/out of the water with a tank on can be difficult if there are back problems.
(3) in/out of a boat can be difficult if there are shoulder problems
(4) the walking sticks in post #9 (and muck sticks and GoPro sticks) are not allowed; but you do see them in use

Advice: use boats, put on/take off gear in the water, tip well.
If you use a gudie for shore dives, let them carry the gear into/out of the water, and steady you both directions. Tip well.

Greatly appreciate everyone's input. I think we've settled on the following:

1. Den Laman One Bedroom Ocean Front package, unlimited tanks/shore dives & 3 days 2-tank boat dives. Includes truck & American breakfast.
2. It sounds like Bari Reef is a great reef; she'll be able to get re-acclimated right out front of the hotel. We'll do a couple of days here getting comfortable, testing the knee out, then do the boat dives if all goes well.
3. We'll gear up/off in the water.

As I look at this photo, it looks like there's a small beach right in front of the property. Is that a rocky bottom, or can you walk in/out with just soft-soled booties?
denlaman-aerial.jpg

@tcpip95

The one bdrm oceanfront is fantastic, wait until you see the sunsets from your balcony terrace :)

You may want to put your gear and tanks out on the pier before breakfast on boat diving mornings so that you can relax and enjoy your meal before going out, without hurrying.

There is some sandy beach on both sides of the pier. You'll have to check which side is the better entry, might be the other side from Den Laman. When we were there in early December, there had been some erosion and loss of sand in front of Den Laman. You could check it out on your first day with just mask and fins.

Bari Reef is great, helped build my wife's confidence significantly

The Dive Friends boat crews were great, I'm sure they will do anything they can to help you. Capts Helmer, Larry and Martijn and DMs Jasper, Vincent, Jack, Kathryn, and Darcy were among the kindest I have dived with. They were particularly helpful to my wife. The Pelican has an open transom and would be easiest for in water don and doff. Frenzy has two outboards and is generally a back roll entry. I'm sure you could don in water if needed. It has a good ladder.

An alternative to using a beach entry would be what I do for my wife. I carry her tank and BC to either the main stairs or the two step stairs where the boats tie up while she is already sitting there. She puts on her equipment and walks down a few stairs or simply steps off into the water. In many ways, easier than walking on uneven sand +\- rocks or coral debris. Whatever works best for you.

You'll have a wonderful time.

That’s it. @scubadada is hitting the nail in the head!
In fact, it’s probably best to not have her stand with the BC, but rather inflate and help her put it on while already in the water. Same before exiting.

You’ve got some pretty good recommendations already for places to stay with easy shore access and entry-exits. Inflate the BC, toss it all ready to go in the water and help her get it strapped on and off.

Boat diving.... same thing. The boats usually go to Klein, they tie to a ball and stay for the duration. Sometimes there is current, but it’s managable. You should still be able to help her with the equipment.

I had a student once that had hip and back issues, with post-op conditions that required avoiding her walking with a tank or anything heavy on her. Coincidentally, we all traveled to Bonaire for a dive vacation and that’s how her family helped and handled each and every entry-exit. Worked like a charm.

Enjoy your trip!

Ricardo
PS: Don’t forget that one of the most valuable things about Bonaire and it’s shore diving is that it’s on your terms. If you select the right place and it’s just you and her, there should be no one rushing you, setting a schedule or expecting you to be in or out of the water. Take your time, plan ahead and enjoy.

Greatly appreciate everyone's input. I think we've settled on the following:

1. Den Laman One Bedroom Ocean Front package, unlimited tanks/shore dives & 3 days 2-tank boat dives. Includes truck & American breakfast.
2. It sounds like Bari Reef is a great reef; she'll be able to get re-acclimated right out front of the hotel. We'll do a couple of days here getting comfortable, testing the knee out, then do the boat dives if all goes well.
3. We'll gear up/off in the water.

As I look at this photo, it looks like there's a small beach right in front of the property. Is that a rocky bottom, or can you walk in/out with just soft-soled booties?
View attachment 441463
Soft-soled booties not advised. use the kind with at least sneaker-type almost rigid soles. Much more stable.
I actually have used neoprene-top Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars!
Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Neoprene High Top 153972C-001 Unisex Shoe Black
You are being redirected...

Given your wife's situation, I suggest diving some of the resorts - they're almost all on named shore dive sites and have easier access. Bari Reef is arguably the best - the most counted species of fish in the Caribbean according to REEF - influenced by the former shops naturalist and survey dives - we did one.

One nice thing about Den Laman is it's a flat property except if your apt. is on the 2nd floor. The shop, restaurant, boat dock and parking all are on the same level. As others mentioned, I have a bad knee so found it convenient to sit in the well where the boats tie up - one step down, put on my gear then giant stride off the side. It is pretty shallow though - my buddy hit the bottom. Besides the stairs next to their dock, there's also an easy beach entry immediately next door (20' away) at Sand Dollar's beach entry next door.

Byddt Dice by comparison has a lot more steps down to their dive dock. Or ladders over the ironshore to their house reef.

Also pay the $5 or whatever it is now and dive Habitat as a guest - they have a place to drop gear right near the paved ramp that leads down to the dive dock. From there you can access Cliff to the north which is a rough entry over loose rock if you try it from the Dive Friends shop there, Also you can float in over the LaMachca wreck off Habitat but you won't be too disappointed if you miss it...

As mentioned Dive Friends in town has a same level dive dock and maybe 3-4 steps.

I'd personally stay at Den Laman over the Divi but the latter does have the advantage of having HSA certified staff so they may be able to help with boarding. Also being in town puts the restaurants/shops within walking distance.

If you dive 18 Palms - the Plaza's house reef - it's a beach entry. But check-in at Toucan Dive on the south side and either ask them to haul you/tanks in their golf cart or drive out the main gate and back into the small lot that's the next left - it might say employees but you can park there. Walk thru the gate and 18Palms is almost immediately to the right - it's a 10min. hike from the dive shop.

One other thing to look for is sand channels at some of the shore dives - they break the ironshore and in many cases you're floating b4 you contact the reef. Otherwise you wife will have a lot of difficulty climbing up and then down over the ironshore prevalent at most sites - I did. Here's an example at Vista Blue a more advanced south site. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/BonaireS/Vista_Blue/c004508.jpg

I found Salt Pier an easy beach entry but my buddy entered 10' away and found the ironshore shallow. Short swim out to a very good shallow pier dive once you're floating.

Also this site has a lot of entry photos - a few are dated but you get the idea. Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

Two I'd probably skip are the Hooker and 1000 Steps - both are done as boat dives also.

I seem to recall hearing about a book that covered shore dive sites at Bonaire. Is anyone familiar with this? I'm checking Amazon but there are so many it's taking a long time to filter through.

EDIT: Think I found it. BSDME 6th Edition

Jim,
You can find several books on Amazon, but to be honest, the best resource will end up being platforms such as this. ScubaBoard has lots of up to date and current information. Yes, there are lots of personal opinions and ideas, but that’s all going to help you formulate a better plan before your visit.

I purchased this book a long while ago, after my first visit back in 2010. It’s pretty affordable, but fish move, reef conditions change and well.... the book is just one point of view. In any case, get it and start developing your plan.
Diving Bonaire, George Lewbel - Amazon.com

When we got this book, we wanted to see if there were some stones unturned and sure enough, we quickly realized that time was a limiting factor, as well as not knowing about the different sites.

We have since returned several times, and we’ve dedicated time to explore, tried diving the wild side and hired Bas Tol, fantastic dive guide by the way. Highly recommended. @Bas Tol(B.A.S.Diving)

In any case, our most recent visits have morphed. We have slowed down and essentially focused on taking it easy, enjoying long and stress free shore diving, on our terms and at our pace. We are still putting in 5 dives a day when our energy levels allow, but have also just done 1 dive or skipped a day all together because we just wanted to sit by the shoreline and take it all in.

Bonaire has a lot to offer. The beauty of it all is that you can set the pace and can control most of the variables. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ricardo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom