Post-Surgery: Advice for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soft-soled booties not advised. use the kind with at least sneaker-type almost rigid soles. Much more stable.
I actually have used neoprene-top Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars!
Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Neoprene High Top 153972C-001 Unisex Shoe Black
You are being redirected...
Those have my attention. I wear chucks in my dry suit, but SP hardsole boots for Bonaire, and all other wetsuit diving. SP sizing is bananas, so I'm in the market for something new. Those would work great there.

Those have my attention. I wear chucks in my dry suit, but SP hardsole boots for Bonaire, and all other wetsuit diving. SP sizing is bananas, so I'm in the market for something new. Those would work great there.
I put bright orange laces in my black ones, to match my Deep 6 fins. Then I had to get an orange rash guard. then had to switch my yellow SMB for an orange one. Finally got a Deep 6 reg set with an orange hose to round out the picture. Yes, I am identifiable underwater!

Tursiops, Did you need a larger fin foot pocket when using the Converse Chuck Taylor's?
Good question. My fins are ok, but just barely. They were a tad big on my TUSA booties. Fins are Deep6 or DiveRite, both Large. The Orange laces look really cool with the Orange Deep6s.

I did a 7 day trip to Bonaire in 2010 with a relatively new hip and knee, and would not recommend shore diving there except from places like The Habitat, Buddy Dive, and Dive Friends that have a dock and stairs to the water. Yes, we did the shore dives, but did not enjoy the entrance or exits. I found boat diving a lot easier, more expensive yes, but a lot less dangerous. Personally, I found the crews at The Habitat more than helpful in getting our gear out of the water. After watching more than a few young, healthy people do some pretty nasty face plants, with and without gear, when they got their foot caught in the unseen divots and cracks in the ironstone, my wife and I both thought "Why are we doing this?". In my opinion, the ironstone entries give you maximum flexibility to go where you want, as often as you like, but at a potentially high cost.

I did a 7 day trip to Bonaire in 2010 with a relatively new hip and knee, and would not recommend shore diving there except from places like The Habitat, Buddy Dive, and Dive Friends that have a dock and stairs to the water. Yes, we did the shore dives, but did not enjoy the entrance or exits. I found boat diving a lot easier, more expensive yes, but a lot less dangerous. Personally, I found the crews at The Habitat more than helpful in getting our gear out of the water. After watching more than a few young, healthy people do some pretty nasty face plants, with and without gear, when they got their foot caught in the unseen divots and cracks in the ironstone, my wife and I both thought "Why are we doing this?". In my opinion, the ironstone entries give you maximum flexibility to go where you want, as often as you like, but at a potentially high cost.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, so there are generally 3 types of entries in Bonaire: ironstone/ironshore, beach and dock/ladder? Of the 3, would beach be “easiest”?

Please correct me if I’m wrong, so there are generally 3 types of entries in Bonaire: ironstone/ironshore, beach and dock/ladder? Of the 3, would beach be “easiest”?
You are correct about the three types of entry (with boat being the fourth!)

It depends on the conditions... and how good your balance is when getting out of the water. Beach can be very easy at some sites but if there is any surge or bigger waves, you may find it easier using a ladder with a handrail. We always use the ladder at Buddy's as there is no beach but at Bari we find it just as easy to walk up the sand.

Even the few "beach" entries we did at Bonaire, had a lot of ironstone not very far out from the water's edge. and almost every one of the little limestone potholes had a nice little urchin tucked inside. I am not saying every beach entrance is like that, but I did not experience any sand that extended very far out into the water like you might find at Maui, Puerto Rico, or Aruba.

Even the few "beach" entries we did at Bonaire, had a lot of ironstone not very far out from the water's edge. and almost every one of the little limestone potholes had a nice little urchin tucked inside. I am not saying every beach entrance is like that, but I did not experience any sand that extended very far out into the water like you might find at Maui, Puerto Rico, or Aruba.
^^^This.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom