post dive abdominal pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capittm

Reaction score
Everytime I go diving with my husband to 30 ft +, after about 15 mins of surfacing I get the most horrible cramps. :06: They feel like menstrual cramps. Most of the time, I end up sitting at home the rest of the evening feeling really uncomfortable. I sleep that night w/a heating pad on my abdomen and wake up feeling fine the next morning.
I'm still fairly new to diving and I enjoy it a lot, I just wish there was some way to prevent this. My hubby and I always do nice slow ascents. I'm really confused as to why I'd have problems. Is this a female thing? Something to do with the uterus, etc?

capittm:
Everytime I go diving with my husband to 30 ft +, after about 15 mins of surfacing I get the most horrible cramps. :06: They feel like menstrual cramps. Most of the time, I end up sitting at home the rest of the evening feeling really uncomfortable. I sleep that night w/a heating pad on my abdomen and wake up feeling fine the next morning.
I'm still fairly new to diving and I enjoy it a lot, I just wish there was some way to prevent this. My hubby and I always do nice slow ascents. I'm really confused as to why I'd have problems. Is this a female thing? Something to do with the uterus, etc?
I'm a female diver and don't experience that. I had cramping yesterday in conjunction with my period, but didn't find it above normal. I would strongly suggest seeing a gynacologist and have an ultrasound done. IF you are getting bubble trapped in the femenine bit area, you could have other concerns to adress...like endometrial growths...I have endometriosis and have to be "cleaned out" every 3-5 years or so, but I'm more of an extreme case. But none the less, having a check-up to see if there is a concern in that area is advisable. You don't want trapped nitrogen bubble anywhere in your body. Any other symptoms like developing a rash on your body?

Anyways I hope things improve and that folks with more knowledge than I do respond...I'm only a paramedic.
Take care,
CJ

I know this sounds a bit simplistic but i dont really know what you got, however did you have any hickups or wind during the dive??? Two times i have had this were due to me swallowing air during the dive due to hickups. First time i was in agony thinking i had done something very bad, but rememebered the hickup, drank a couple of cans of coke and belched it out. Not pretty but about 30mins later pain had subsided - not sure it s the answer but sounds similar and the fact the pain went away by itself

Albion:
I know this sounds a bit simplistic but i dont really know what you got, however did you have any hickups or wind during the dive??? Two times i have had this were due to me swallowing air during the dive due to hickups. First time i was in agony thinking i had done something very bad, but rememebered the hickup, drank a couple of cans of coke and belched it out. Not pretty but about 30mins later pain had subsided - not sure it s the answer but sounds similar and the fact the pain went away by itself

We always drink a can of coke or something due to the cotton mouth once we get to the surface and I don't have a problem burping or getting rid of excess gas through the other end of the pipe either if you know what I mean.. :wink:.

I will definitely make an appt with a gynecologist b/c it sounds like something abnormal. Yesterday, I did have some intense itching on my forearms after the dive. No visible rash on my hands.The tops of my feet were a bit red, but I attributed that to using stiff fins with swim shoes instead of booties.
I really don't know very many other women divers so I appreciate hearing about other womens' experiences or lack there of with this.

Thanks so much everyone!

capittm:
We always drink a can of coke or something due to the cotton mouth once we get to the surface and I don't have a problem burping or getting rid of excess gas through the other end of the pipe either if you know what I mean.. :wink:.

I will definitely make an appt with a gynecologist b/c it sounds like something abnormal. Yesterday, I did have some intense itching on my forearms after the dive. No visible rash on my hands.The tops of my feet were a bit red, but I attributed that to using stiff fins with swim shoes instead of booties.
I really don't know very many other women divers so I appreciate hearing about other womens' experiences or lack there of with this.

Possibly skin bends :06: Could the abdominal pain be due to some internal bubbling :06: I would suggest looking at your dive profile and also find out what the ascent rates are.

it was just slow and steady from shore to 35 feet , a short stay there , ascent to 30 feet , leveled off and followed the contour of the point at that depth , ascended to 20 feet reversed direction and followed the contour of the point at that depth , then made a slow ascent back into 4 feet of water at our entrance area , stood up and began packing our gear. this was our second dive of the day after a 1 hour and 30 minute survace interval , and the pervious dive had also dropped only to 35 feet for just a couple of minutes. elevation is around 1800 feet on beaver lake and would only account for a 3-4 foot increase of depth on the chart calculations , and the water was warm , and task loading minimum for both of us , so no depth additions there either . btw this is capittm's hubby mpittman and i just realized i forgot to log her off and log me on heh. i agree she needs to go see a doctor (hoping he says its just a bubble or two in the intestines trying to find a way out ). i had some mild itching as well , but i attribute mine to the amount of particulate matter in the water , and a tree or two that i wound up rubbing on while down there . i get that kind of itching by just swimming the lake , and capittm has much more sensitive skin than me.

capittm:
Please go to www.diversalertnetwork.org (DAN) and give their non emergency medicine line a call. You will find that they can give you excellent medical advice and steer you in the right direction. You should see a doctor, preferably a diving medicine doctor. DAN should be able to at least refer you to one in your area.

Good luck and please drop me a PM telling me what your diagnose was. I have never heard of your problem before and would be very interested in reading about it.

Maria

sharkdiver00:
Please go to www.diversalertnetwork.org (DAN) and give their non emergency medicine line a call. You will find that they can give you excellent medical advice and steer you in the right direction. You should see a doctor, preferably a diving medicine doctor. DAN should be able to at least refer you to one in your area.

Good luck and please drop me a PM telling me what your diagnose was. I have never heard of your problem before and would be very interested in reading about it.

Maria

Thanks so much. I emailed them and am awaiting a response.

Great, thanks following my humble advice. If you don't get an email tomorrow, give them a call. The numbers are listed on the website. I have called them on several ocassions for myself, and on behalf of students. Have never been dissapointed yet.

You know how it goes... 'better safe than sorry'. Please PM me and let me know what they suggest, and how you solve the problem.

good luck,
Maria

These symptoms are suggestive of a bend, but it could be other things too. A simple but non definitive way to rule in DCI is to breath 02 when the cramps occur. Since it lasts all night etc., breathing it should cause relief within minutes, and it should return when you stop the 02. This is highly suggestive of DCI.

If the 02 has little effect, common issue to ask:

Are you Overweight? Are you fit? Are you wearing a weight belt, is it rubbing on your abdomen? How long are your dives, how deep are they really?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom