post dive abdominal pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Diving does not usually produce these types of cramping symptoms unless there is some air space in the abdomen that expands as you ascend causing gas trapping. You could either see a dive physician or have your physician contact a dive physician for consult."

This is the reply that I received from DAN via email about my problem and thought I would post it since there were some curious folks. Looks like I'm headed to the dr.

i will reply in her stead to some of the above saturaton , and thank you for the attention as well. neither of us are in the greatest shape of our lives , but far from debilitated , for her first dive yes she wore a weight belt , 2nd dive was on my weight integrated bc(i went with a vintage backpack and a weight belt) . yes she said the weight belt wasnt sitting confortably on her (hence the switch) , both dives of the day were single tank dives , both 40 minutes long , both with a max depth of 35 feet . i technically did 3 dives that day ( my first was a contour out to 35 feet to set the buoy and a slow ascent along the buoy line). the first dive for us both was a contour dive starting in 5 feet of water , and a slow ascent along the buoy line (me reeling it up as we ascended) the second dive for us both (after a 1.5 hour SI) was a contour dive from 5 feet out to 35 feet , a 5 minute hold there , and the remainder following the contour of the shoreline in progressivly shallower patterns ending with a final ascent from 8 feet. i am highly doubting DCI in regards to our profile (and the consideration of our similar lifestyle and health status and the fact that i made one more dive than her with no signs of DCI) and the fact that she did begin her period late the next day. that being said I am glad she followed through with contacting DAN and will be seeing her doctor for a referral ASAP , im not a professional and even though everything in me says silly coincidence , theres the voice of my old instructer in the back of my head saying simply to check it out and be safe. on behalf of myself and her as well thank you all for your input on this folks, and although we will probably never meet most of you in person , i do hope you do not consider us clueless divers , or dangerous divers. she and i just wish to be extra careful with anything either of us feels is not quite right.

thanks for passing all the dive info, regardless of your profile don't forget you should not pass judgement using "(and the consideration of our similar lifestyle and health status and the fact that i made one more dive than her with no signs of DCI)" as each of our bodies is different and will react different to the same circumstances.

A "clueless or dangerous" diver will not have asked or followed advice and gone to seek medical opinions, kudos on trying to be extra safe.

Let us know the outcome and good luck.

maria

mpittman:
i will reply in her stead to some of the above saturaton , and thank you for the attention as well. neither of us are in the greatest shape of our lives , but far from debilitated , for her first dive yes she wore a weight belt , 2nd dive was on my weight integrated bc(i went with a vintage backpack and a weight belt) . yes she said the weight belt wasnt sitting confortably on her (hence the switch) , both dives of the day were single tank dives , both 40 minutes long , both with a max depth of 35 feet . i technically did 3 dives that day ( my first was a contour out to 35 feet to set the buoy and a slow ascent along the buoy line). the first dive for us both was a contour dive starting in 5 feet of water , and a slow ascent along the buoy line (me reeling it up as we ascended) the second dive for us both (after a 1.5 hour SI) was a contour dive from 5 feet out to 35 feet , a 5 minute hold there , and the remainder following the contour of the shoreline in progressivly shallower patterns ending with a final ascent from 8 feet. i am highly doubting DCI in regards to our profile (and the consideration of our similar lifestyle and health status and the fact that i made one more dive than her with no signs of DCI) and the fact that she did begin her period late the next day. that being said I am glad she followed through with contacting DAN and will be seeing her doctor for a referral ASAP , im not a professional and even though everything in me says silly coincidence , theres the voice of my old instructer in the back of my head saying simply to check it out and be safe. on behalf of myself and her as well thank you all for your input on this folks, and although we will probably never meet most of you in person , i do hope you do not consider us clueless divers , or dangerous divers. she and i just wish to be extra careful with anything either of us feels is not quite right.
Hello mpittman:

The dive depth-time profile, and I presume this was on air, is a crucial element in making diagnoses ... based on what you said here, its very unlikely this is bends episode, but it can still be a barotrauma episode ... ie., the result of expanding gas. But this is also less likely.

More likely something else physical that is being aggravated by the act of being in the water, it can be say uterine fibroids to muscle or tendon strain from unaccustomed movement and activity.

Generally, most new divers in general good health get pains in their back particulary lower back, abdomen, shoulders. They then also get various tightness and pulls in their leg muscles. It goes away once the diver is used to the tank weight and movements of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom