Post DCS - odd persistent leg pain/coldness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Northwest of Chinchorro Banks, northeast of Tubbat
# of dives
50 - 99
I am posting this history which was previously on another thread, because I have a couple questions, and Dandy Don suggested I ask them here.

I had possibly 4 episodes of DCS, not recognized until #4 (all explained below). I don't think I have any residual symptoms, except for possibly this: My legs always feel cold; they ache with the cold, even when it's hot. I can't remember exactly when this started, but it seems like it was about the same time as the problems with DCS. I've asked several doctors about it and they don't have a clue.

First question: Is it possible that this leg symptom is DCS related?

In a couple days I am leaving for Mexico, and I'm dreaming of doing some diving. I can do Nitrox, and keep it shallow.

Second question: Is that a crazy idea?

Now for the history. Dive profiles follow.

September 2005. Dive Vacation in Bonaire. On my last day of diving (all on Nitrox except one deep dive to 121 ft), my computer accused me of going into deco, although I had dived quite conservative profiles. I was at 22 feet, and aborted the dive. My diving companions, most of whom were much more experienced than me, felt it was a fluke on the part of the computer. Later that day I did one more long but shallow dive (40 feet max).

A few hours later, I developed a mysterious pain in my right ankle. A little later, my left ankle also started hurting. Everyone (including several instructors) felt that I had injured my ankles on a dive, since there had been a rather difficult surf entry. By the time I flew home (on Sunday), my ankles were really bothering me.

Back at home, I became more and more concerned that I the ankle pain was DCS-related. Finally went to the ER of the only hospital within 5 hours with a chamber. The doctors did a thorough exam and called DAN. Verdict: Not DCS. The ankle pain subsided after about 2 weeks.

During the course of the next year, did a few more dives without any problems.

September 2006. I flew to Coron, a Wreck Diving Mecca and enjoyed some awesome wreck diving, to about 100 feet (not Nitrox). A few hours after the dive, developed pain, itching, and a red rash on my upper legs. The literature for a med I was taking said this was a possible side effect. Stopped the med. The rash disappeared. A few days later, flew to another area of the country and did a few shallow dives, with no more problems.

December, 2006. On a vacation to Mexico, did a couple shallow cenote dives, and the following day two hour-long ocean dives to 70 feet. (Not Nitrox.) An hour after the second dive, developed the same painful, itchy rash on my thighs. Began to have Grim Forebodings about the possibility of DCI. Did a lot of research on the Internet, including here on SB. Rash disappeared in a few hours.

Five days later, did a couple more hour-long dives to around 60 feet. Saw a whale shark and really swam hard to try to follow it. An hour after the last dive, developed notable pain and itching in my lower back, upper abdomen, and thighs. Upon examination, found blotchy red rashes on abdomen and back, with curious horseshoe-shaped bruises in the centers of the rashes, front and back. I called the dive medicine docs who advised that I make haste to visit their facility, which I did. After a thorough history and physical, I was given a 5-hour Chamber ride. The rash disappeared, along with most of the pain.

The next morning, on a follow-up examination, the pain had returned, along with a headache; so I was treated to three more hours in the Chamber.

The doctor spent quite a bit of time with me. He felt that the incident in Bonaire, as well as the one in Coron and the earlier incident in Mexico, were manifestations of DCS. This made FOUR Incidents before I received treatment.

I flew home four days after the last treatment, and I have not been diving since. I was very tired with shortness of breath for a few weeks afterward, but this cleared up. I don't smoke and don't drink alcohol. I am not on any meds. I am slender and in good physical shape.

Possible contributing factors:
Hydration: I do try to keep hydrated, although I know I could do better. On the last dive, I drank about .75 liter of water before the first dive on the boat going out. Now I realize it should have been earlier in the day, although I had taken liquids earlier, as well.

Another contributing factor could have been that I got about 6 hrs sleep the night before the last day of diving.

Also, in Mexico I had a warm bath an hour or so after the dive. I had been very cold on the dive and in the interval between the first and second dive.

Here are my profiles:
I used the same computer, a Sherwood Wisdom, for all the dives. When there is any depth involved, I never do square dives. I always end up with a comfortable margin remaining of allowed bottom time.

When I dive nitrox, I usually leave the computer set on air, for an extra margin of safety. I also make sure not to go deeper than 111 feet.

1. First hit.
9-30-05
Logged dive #67. Dive #29 in an 8-day period, almost all were on nitrox. (Deepest dive on the trip was #19, to 121 feet on air, stayed only 5 minutes at depth, with gradual ascent, accompanied by a friend who is an instructor. 50 minutes bottom time. 860 psi left in tank; .98 PO2.)

Other dives that day:
On air
SI 13:58
Depth 118 (5 minutes)
Bottom Time 53
Beginning/ending psi: 3000/980
0.96 PO2

32% Nitrox
SI 1:14
Depth 94
BT 53
Beg/end psi: 3000/1080
Ascent - red (which was probably a brief incident of a few feet, because it was a slow, careful dive)
Nitrogen - green
O2 - green
Did long safety stops

#66,
SI 1:36
32% nitrox
When I reached 22 feet my computer said TOO DEEP, and the indicator for deco was flashing on red. I aborted the dive at 2 minutes, gradual ascent with safety stop. Total time 6 minutes.

#67. SI 1:53. Computer was happy.
32% Nitrox
BT 79 minutes
Maximum depth: 40 ft, mostly much less.
That evening, about 2-3 hours after dive, developed pain in right ankle, and then left. There was considerable swelling. Attributed to possible injury on a difficult surf entry on dive #65.

2. Hit #2
9-17-06
Wreck dives on air.

#72:
Depth 98
Bottom time: 52 minutes
Beginning/Ending psi: 2800/510
Mask leaking profusely

SI: 2:07
Depth 73
Bottom time: 50 minutes
Beginning/ending psi: 3000/910
Mask leaking profusely

A few hours after the last dive, developed painful, itchy rash on fronts of upper legs, which faded after several hours. Attributed to reaction to medication. In any case, the only way I could have reached a chamber was by air.

Hit #3:
12-1-06
Boat dives on air

#79 SI several days
Depth 52 ft
Bottom time 58 minutes
Beg/end psi: 2900/1180

SI :59
Depth 56
Bottom time: 65 min
Beg/end psi: 3000/1230

About an hour after dive, developed painful itchy rash on front of upper legs; subsided in 1-2 hours.

Hit #4
12-6-06
Boat dives on air

SI 5 days
Depth: 79
Bottom time: 53 minutes
Beginning/ending psi: 2800/890
Swam with turtle for quite a distance
Very cold after dive, with 3/2 wetsuit in 81 degree water

SI 1:06
Fell while getting on boat and cracked a rib. Pain subsided within a few minutes, and it did not bother me on the dive. However, it was extremely painful for about 6 months after that.
Depth 58 (for about 1 minute; mostly at around 40 feet)
Bottom time: 58 minutes
Beginning/ending psi: 3000/980
At end of dive, saw a whale shark and swam very enthusiastically with it for maybe 10 minutes.

An hour after dive, began to develop painful itchy rash on front and back of torso, with horseshoe shaped bruises. Also pain in sides and back of thighs.

That night: Chamber ride 5 hrs
Next day: Chamber ride 3 hrs

It doesn't sound like you have looked into getting checked for a PFO. It might be the culprit of your DCS events.

Jim

Excerpted from his thread on Accidents...
No, I didn't test for PFO. I'm not independently wealthy.

I think i'd start a new thread on Dr.Deco with your history and question, but without the PFO test, I think I'd stop diving with your history...

Hi Seadreamer,

This description contains a couple of dives (especially #4) with subsequent complaints consistent with possible DCS (particularly "skin bends"). However, there is no indication that a formal diagnosis of DCS was ever made or that treatment for DCS was ever administered. As such, it is not certain that DCI was in fact ever sustained.

In any event, the solitary symptom of a continuing sensation of cold and aching in the legs bilaterally is not consistent with the known residuals of DCS.

Reportedly, this history has been mentioned to several doctors and they have responded that they, "don't have a clue." Apparently, no medical work relating to these symptoms has as yet been performed.

It would be prudent to have such complaints formally assessed by a physician. It is possible that they are the result of abnormalities of the blood vessels/circulation in the legs. Alternatively, there could be damage to the lumbosacral area of the spine.

Please do keep us posted on your condition--it's how we learn.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hi Seadreamer,

This description contains a couple of dives (especially #4) with subsequent complaints consistent with possible DCS (particularly "skin bends"). However, there is no indication that a formal diagnosis of DCS was ever made or that treatment for DCS was ever administered. As such, it is not certain that DCI was in fact ever sustained.

The physicians in Mexico did diagnose DCS and administred two rounds in the hyperbaric chamber; or were you referring to some other sort of treatment?

The physicians in Mexico did diagnose DCS and administred two rounds in the hyperbaric chamber; or were you referring to some other sort of treatment?
I am certainly not qualified to comment on your medical condition or dive health, and not really qualified to comment on the doctors in Mexico, but I will offer this general, anecdotal suggestion...

There have been some cases when perhaps healthy divers who went to a Cozumel clinic (now closed, I believe; surviving clinic more reputable) with DAN insurance and any claimed DCS symptoms were treated with chamber rides more for the income than for any real needs. It can be difficult to fault a clinic for being overly prudent, but there were some actions taken about possible insurance abuse.

Let me ask this: Were DAN doctors consulted by the Mexican physicians before your treatments...?

Let me ask this: Were DAN doctors consulted by the Mexican physicians before your treatments...?

Yes, they did, or they said they did! They also called DAN again at the end of the treatment, and they had DAN magazines all over the place. The idea of fraud did occur to me, of course. The clinic in Playa del Carmen is affiliated with a healthcare system in the States, if that is any credential (not sure!). More germane, the skin symptoms were pretty straightforward, and they cleared up with treatment.

They did give me clearance to dive again, and said chances were that I would be ok. I may stop by and see them on my way south from Cancun.

DD--you haven't made up your mind where you're going next? Have you gone to Xcalak yet?

My bad, Seadreamer, I did not read with sufficient care and missed that information. Thanks for pointing it out.

That information does not, however, alter the opinion that continuing sensations of cold and aching in the legs bilaterally, as sole features, are not consistent with the known residuals of DCS. At this time, evaluation for possible vascular or neurological involvement still appears prudent.

In addition, if a diver with this sort of history desires to return to SCUBA, it would first be prudent to undergo a complete assessment of risk factors associated with DCS, and especially for patent foramen ovale (PFO). PFO is arguably best assessed by transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) with bubble contrast. If this test proves negative with a high degree of confidence, consideration could be given to evaluating for the possibility of intrapulmonary shunting. Make sure that the doctor who sends you for either or both of these evaluations words his referral so as to maximize the likelihood that your medical coverage will pay for them.

Please do keep us posted on your condition--it's how we learn.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hello Seadreamer:

I have been in the hospital for neck surgery since March 3. I am just getting to the postings on SCUBA BOARD.

DCS

The time of appearance of symptoms and the bilateral nature (both right and left sides) make DCS improbable. It could occur if on specific dives your loaded considerable nitrogen in your legs, e.g., strong finning. Alternatively, you could have cause leg microbubble formation in some instances, e.g., climbing a boat ladder following a few specific dives.

Non-Diving Problems

The bilateral nature leads to different possibilities [noted also by Doc Vikingo]. These could be Raynaud’s phenomenon, low potassium, overuse myalgia, statins (for cholesterol), or spinal causes (radiculopathy).

Please keep us posted!

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom