Post DCS - odd persistent leg pain/coldness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bilateral nature leads to different possibilities [noted also by Doc Vikingo]. These could be Raynaud’s phenomenon, low potassium, overuse myalgia, statins (for cholesterol), or spinal causes (radiculopathy).

In the absence of a directed history and physical examination, I have to say that the symptoms you describe are not very convincing for these listed diagnoses. I suggest you seek referral to a Sports Med physician and inquire about the possibility of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (previously known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy). CRPS is commonly seen following various musculoskeletal injuries (sometimes of an apparently innocuous nature). The diagnosis is often missed. I can't say I've seen it described post DCS, but am about to go looking.

I agree that they are not convincing. I gave them more to suggest she have someone look into this, as other problems might well be present - not DCS.

Thanks for the input. I shall certainly consider everything. As it turned out, we left for Mexico before I could read your replies.

In Mexico, I spoke with the dive op, mentioning the DCS incident the last time I dived, and that I wanted to go easy and use nitrox.

However, just before the dive they told me they didn't have my mix, and they just brought out the bottles without letting me test them; so I declined the nitrox.

The waves were monstrous--considerably higher than the boat. I almost stayed in the boat, but was quite sure my stomach couldn't last 60 minutes of yawing and pitching. The dive actually was quite uneventful, other than strong surge; went down to about 60 feet and did a slow ascent. Getting back on the boat was exhausting, however. I was quite tired for a couple of days, but no other aftereffects. The weather didn't improve, and I didn't do any more diving. I'm very disappointed I didn't get to Chinchorro Banks.

Interestingly enough, I wasn't bothered with the leg symptoms while in Mexico, nor for a few days after returning; but tonight it's back. But maybe it is just because it really is cold in here!!!! LOL

I spoke to my nondiving husband about the possibility of PFO, and he asks me what difference it will make if I test positive; he says a good percentage of the population has it, without a problem.

Thanks again, guys.

I spoke to my nondiving husband about the possibility of PFO, and he asks me what difference it will make if I test positive; he says a good percentage of the population has it, without a problem.

Thanks again, guys.
Hi and welcome back. You've received some great, professional counsel here above - and I think I read that they don't think you had DCS, therefore a PFO exam as suggested by Instructor Eelpout may not be indicated at all. Perhaps one of the physcians will be by soon to clarify on this?

While you're waiting, did you look into Complex Regional Pain Syndrome as mentioned by Kbuschmann? You don't want to depend on Google surfing for medical needs of course, but this article is interesting: Complex regional pain syndrome - MayoClinic.com It has several links to consider: Introduction, Signs and symptoms, Causes, When to seek medical advice, Screening and diagnosis, Complications, Treatment, Coping skills along with an appropriate medical exam.

While you're waiting, did you look into Complex Regional Pain Syndrome as mentioned by Kbuschmann?

Yes, my symptoms are nothing like that, thankfully.

And I'm glad I did a dive without any more problems, even though it was kind of an extreme dive in the end.

Maybe I'll do some shallow diving this fall in the Philippines. :) Would love to do some wreck diving, but maybe I won't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom