Possum Kingdom Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happened to the lake? Why is it so silty now?

Lakes silt in over time as they age. Dirt washes in from upstream and settles out as the water speed slows. The lake was impounded back in the early 40's and has been collecting dirt from the Brazos River watershed for almost 70 years now. Every spring when the heavy rains hit northwest of the lake, new dirt is washed in with the rain water and the silt gets stirred up off the bottom again. I would think that the best bet for good viz is in late winter or early spring after the algae has died back and before the spring rains come. That is when I dove the lake year before last and had a very nice couple of dives down below 50' along the limestone cliffs that used to line the river. It was a might chilly in a wetsuit.

A distiguished statesman once said, "Great visibility is overrated."

With all due respect to ZzzKing and the 'distinguished statesman', and I have the utmost respect for both of you, if someone said "lets go dive PK for the adventure because the vis' sucks!", I would line up for that and go do it; and have fun doing it! Let's go dive PK for the adventure. Let's go dive PK because the vis' sucks and you just don't know what you are going to find! These are all good reasons to go dive PK.

I take exception to the statement "Lets go dive PK because I hear the vis' is great!" I take exception with this statement.

Lest some foreigner read this and think I am a horse's $ss, I am not. I am just all about honesty. We can go dive PK. Let's go do it! Let's just make sure we are honest with ourselves about why we are diving PK. Then everyone can make an informed decision. To dive or not to dive; that is the question.

Edit: Hi Craig!

Gee! I hope I wasn't too harsh in that last statement. It sounds a little more harsh than I had intended. In any event, I will let it stand, just 'cause it does express my opinion. Still, I do not intend to be harsh with anyone here. Let's just be honest about why we dive PK.

i dove pk in the early 90's in about march. vis was good,but not great. there are many places that offer as good or better diving now.

With all due respect to ZzzKing and the 'distinguished statesman', and I have the utmost respect for both of you, if someone said "lets go dive PK for the adventure because the vis' sucks!", I would line up for that and go do it; and have fun doing it! Let's go dive PK for the adventure. Let's go dive PK because the vis' sucks and you just don't know what you are going to find! These are all good reasons to go dive PK.

I was a little worried that you had become a clear water snob there. :lotsalove:

Lakes silt in over time as they age. Dirt washes in from upstream and settles out as the water speed slows.

I read somewhere once that Lake Texoma, provided the Denison Dam holds and remains in good repair, is only expected to last 400 to 600 years before it completely silts over. I would expect the same with any river fed impoundment.

That's what dredging is for. Or dynamite, hee hee.

Here we go again concerning what is "good vis"...
Compared to the other lakes in my neck of the woods (plains, actually), PK has "stellar" vis. The other lakes around here (north-central Texas) have absolutely ZERO vis and are deep red in color. By comparison, PK is a great dive, particularly down near the dam or Governor's Cove, where vis can usually be counted on to be 10 feet or better except when the algae is going nuts.
Of course, even Hells Gate is a great dive, even though the vis hovers around three feet...lots of "stuff" from party boats can be found on the bottom, usually.
It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose. Sure, when I snorkeled PK thirty years ago, vis was a LOT better, but hey...I'll take what I can get, like most of us.

I was a little worried that you had become a clear water snob there. :lotsalove:

Don't worry about that. I MUST agree with the elder statesman, timeliner, when it comes to observations of visibility. I was down in Bonaire in September. I was bored to tears because I could see where I was going! Can you imagine that!? ?! ? I was bored! I could see where I was going and I thought "where is the challenge in this?" Ha! (to quote another great diver -- I will bet no one knows who this one is tho) Lets go dive some muck! I agree with Time!

I read somewhere once that Lake Texoma, provided the Denison Dam holds and remains in good repair, is only expected to last 400 to 600 years before it completely silts over. I would expect the same with any river fed impoundment.

I could believe that. Absolutely. Makes sense to me.
You know, George Carlin once made an observation about conservation, the green movement and planet earth. The earth has been here for over 10 billion years. Over 92% of all species to ever live on Earth are extinct today. Man has only been here for about 10 million years or so. We have only been industrialized for 200 years or so. For all of these billions of years, the earth has been whirling around the sun.

Guess what? The planet is fine! The planet is not going anywhere! We are! We are going extinct!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom