Possibly moving to Hawai'i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDiver512

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Aloha!

I'm currently attending school in Michigan and am debating on moving out to Hawaii to teach when I am done with classes. Are there any schools/school districts anyone can suggest I look into before I graduate?

I don't know anything about teaching jobs in Hawaii... but I have a book suggestion for you.

So You Want to Live in Hawaii is informative, very real, but fairly negative slant on moving to Hawaii. If the stories in this book don't scare you away, not much will. There is some good information in there about employment, schools, cultural issues, and feeling isolated that you won't find in any tourist guide book. Some of the numbers are a little outdated and in general bring your grains of salt.

-Eric

The schools here are not great shakes and have significant funding and performance problems. There is a single state-wide Board of Education.

I'm also guessing that there won't be much in the way of hiring for school positions in the near future, last I'd heard there was a hiring freeze on all state jobs in effect ... please correct me if I'm wrong on this. That said, there are lots of private schools in the state, and that could be a source of good opportunities. Are you looking at Elementary, High School, College teaching?

Good news is our unemployment is not near as high as many other states right now.

Aloha, and best wishes to ya'

Tim

I'm also guessing that there won't be much in the way of hiring for school positions in the near future, last I'd heard there was a hiring freeze on all state jobs in effect ... please correct me if I'm wrong on this. That said, there are lots of private schools in the state, and that could be a source of good opportunities. Are you looking at Elementary, High School, College teaching?

Good news is our unemployment is not near as high as many other states right now.

Aloha, and best wishes to ya'

Tim

i'm from michigan...we have the worst unemployment ratings right now that every state looks like a gold mine to us!

i am looking for secondary (high school) teaching jobs, but i'm not sure about the freezes. i know that in particular, in the state of michigan there is a freeze on health care jobs. however, it is something i will look into!! thanks!

For High School, especially if you have experience, start sending resume's to private schools in the State - with our public schools consistently rated 48-49 in the country there is a lot of demand for private schools, some of which are very highly rated.

As you noted Hawaii's unemployment is a LOT lower than Michigan (and most of the country as well) -

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom