possible to do a try dive in a drysuit young man with learning difficulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no point to diving dry in a pool. Drysuits should be used when only when nessessary and are a liability in all other situations. Unless you intend to get certified and dive in cold water, there is little merit in doing a discover drysuit class..

I'm going to have to STRONGLY disagree here. Bold emphasis. Diving a drysuit in a pool provides a SAFE environment to learn and get comfortable with a drysuit BEFORE venturing into open water. There is a huge advantage to trying a drysuit first in a pool or somewhere shallow with good conditions (e.g., confined water). You get a feel for fit, weighting, venting a drysuit, practicing buoyancy, recovering from a feet first ascent. You are in benign conditions with other people around including instructors/dms/lifeguards.

In fact, a confined water dive orientation with a drysuit is pretty much recommended/required by most agencies if you have never used one before. The majority of the time..this takes place....in a pool.

I've taught brand new students in a drysuit during their open water courses with zero dives. Drysuits are NOT rocket science and anyone who thinks they are either has not used one before or has not played around enough with one to master very basic skills.

True, they take more time to master than a wetsuit. You are essentially managing another buoyancy device. They are not complicated pieces of equipment once you understand them. I have absolutely no idea why you think they are a liability. Sure there is added risk like with anything dive-related but a dive in confined water while practicing these skills can help you mitigate these risks and learn.

Lastly, what is your definition of cold water? There are people that use drysuits (myself included in any water colder than 75 degrees). Many people use drysuits in Mexico and Florida. Water temp can be 67f-mid 70s You can get hypothermia in 80 degree water, it just takes more time.

macado,
So are you saying that it is possible for me to do a try dive in a drysuit in a pool with a qualifyed instructor as it provides a SAFE environment so i can learn and get comfortable with a drysuit There is a huge advantage to trying a drysuit first in a pool or somewhere shallow with good conditions (e.g., confined water). You get a feel for fit, weighting, venting a drysuit, practicing buoyancy, recovering from a feet first ascent

@drysuit36 Yes. It is possible. The PADI Drysuit Specialty can be taught in conjunction PADI Open Water. Other dive agencies like SSI and I am assuming even BSAC (You said you were in Oxford, England) may have similar provisions. I'm trying to find the specific standards but there is nothing that explicitly states you can't use drysuit provided you receive a confined water orientation first.

It wouldn't be like a traditional Discovery Scuba Diving course like you've taken before. At least in PADI system, the instructor would have to do part of the open water course (some of the knowledge reviews) with confined water skills. You would have to do a little more work up front but it's not impossible.

upload_2017-2-9_12-49-47.png

Drysuits do take more getting used to but they are truly not complicated once you understand the basics and work with an instructor.

To be blunt, the fact that you are posting on an Internet forum means you have the skills to understand how to use a drysuit. It may just take a little longer to master. Your instructor should start with a small classroom orientation on drysuit before you even enter the water. They will go over functionality of drysuit, how to get in and out, how to use exhaust valve, how to add air to your drysuit.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-9_12-49-20.png
    upload_2017-2-9_12-49-20.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
There are a number of places where folks start out diving dry, having never gone wet. I did OW in a dry suit, got DS specialty cert along with OW. It's more based on where you're located.

I agree with what you're saying, but I stand by my statement that if it's not needed, don't bring it. I dive wet because diving singles in the St. Lawrence you don't need a drysuit for most of the year. Heck, I've even heard of people doing ice dives in 7 mil semidrys.

I personally have ice dove with a 7mm wetsuit. I now own a dry suit. The op is asking about a few drysuit dives in a pool to get some personal comfort using one. Really the two major issues are that it becomes a second bag of air that will cause crush issues on descending, runaway ascending and also upside down orientation. Practice and comfort are the only ways to fix this. Patient guidance and instruction and practice will minimize these issues. Yes find an instructor, use baby steps in pool and shallow dive areas and work your way up. My 2 cents worth.

im not a certifyed diver i havent done any open water dives to be able to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit as i said i have done loads of try dives while wearing a wetsuit but now i would like to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool
In some parts of the world - like mine - even OW class is done in a drysuit. I don't know much about DSD since it's a rather small market here, and the little I've seen has been in a pool in wetsuits, but I don't see any fundamental issues with doing a DSD with the student in a DS. If you live in an area of the world where drysuit diving is the norm, I suggest you shop around and try to find an instructor who is willing to offer a DSD experience in a drysuit. If you live in an area where drysuit diving is regarded as "advanced" and somewhat exotic, I suspect that you might have problems finding an instructor willing to do that.

Disclaimer: I'm just a normal diver, with no instructor qualifications.

In some parts of the world - like mine - even OW class is done in a drysuit. I don't know much about DSD since it's a rather small market here, and the little I've seen has been in a pool in wetsuits, but I don't see any fundamental issues with doing a DSD with the student in a DS. If you live in an area of the world where drysuit diving is the norm, I suggest you shop around and try to find an instructor who is willing to offer a DSD experience in a drysuit. If you live in an area where drysuit diving is regarded as "advanced" and somewhat exotic, I suspect that you might have problems finding an instructor willing to do that.

Disclaimer: I'm just a normal diver, with no instructor qualifications.

Storker
After 3 long years I have managed to find someone who is going to help me with my goal and ambition of doing a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualified instructor in a swimming pool and having pictures of me in drysuit on the side of the pool entering the water under water exiting the water and back on the side of the pool

storker after 3long years of trying to find an instructor who is willing to help me to achieve my goal and ambition of doing a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualified instructor in a swimming pool and having pictures of me in drysuit on the side of the pool entering the water under water exiting the water and back on the side of the pool this is one DSD experience in a drysuit. I Will never forget[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom