possible to do a try dive in a drysuit young man with learning difficulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drysuit36

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i am a 38 year old man who has Learning Difficulities i have had this ever since i was born im just a young man who has learning difficulties yes it does take me a while to fully understand what is being said or asked of me and it does take me time, sometimes i have to have things explained to me maybe twice or three times, but the more things are explained to me and broken down in small bits then i can get to understand things better i have a goal and ambition that i would love to be able to achieve i have done loads of try dives while wearing a wetsuit but now i would like to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool it may take me a significant amount of time to absorb all the required skills and info; i am able to pick up the physical skills quicker if i see it demonstrtated first i can then try it myself Also i want an Instructor who is PATIENT!!!! Someone who is willing to demonstrate something more than once and is willing to WAIT for me to be ready to move on to the next skill and is willing to work with me all i want is to be able to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool

BenjaminS

but there is one snag on this im not a certifyed diver i havent done any open water dives to be able to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit as i said i have done loads of try dives while wearing a wetsuit but now i would like to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool it may take me a significant amount of time to absorb all the required skills and info; i am able to pick up the physical skills quicker if i see it demonstrtated first i can then try it myself Also i want an Instructor who is PATIENT!!!! Someone who is willing to demonstrate something more than once and is willing to WAIT for me to be ready to move on to the next skill and is willing to work with me all i want is to be able to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool

@tbone1004 note syntax. IMHO, he appears to be real, we could help here. The OP presents a reasonable request. If he can't manage a DS, he can't dive. (likely location UK, not a vacation diver)

@BenjaminS Please tell us why you want to dive in a drysuit.

questions were genuine. the location is so we can recommend a specific instructor or dive shop that may be able to help.

Welcome.

After two years you are still continuing towards your drysuit goal I am happy for that. You best know your learning style and I'm confident dry suit diving is possible with enough time. You may take a little longer to get to stoney cove but if you're willing to work with a wise instructor you'll do fine.

I've done trial dives in drysuits and it is very possible. I suggest talking to the local instructors kindly and pay them well for the time it may take.

Warm regards,
Cameron

I am planning on getting a drysuit because I frequently dive in water less than 60 degrees (record so far is 52 degrees for one hour in a 5mil semidry) and I plan on extending my diving season and diving range. I may be autistic, but I am a very competent diver and I intend on going the tech/cave diving route.

BenjaminS

but there is one snag on this im not a certifyed diver i havent done any open water dives to be able to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit as i said i have done loads of try dives while wearing a wetsuit but now i would like to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool it may take me a significant amount of time to absorb all the required skills and info; i am able to pick up the physical skills quicker if i see it demonstrtated first i can then try it myself Also i want an Instructor who is PATIENT!!!! Someone who is willing to demonstrate something more than once and is willing to WAIT for me to be ready to move on to the next skill and is willing to work with me all i want is to be able to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool

There's no point to diving dry in a pool. Drysuits should be used when only when nessessary and are a liability in all other situations. Unless you intend to get certified and dive in cold water, there is little merit in doing a discover drysuit class. Now that I have gotten my DIR rant out, here is my personal opinion. Beware of task loading, I wouldn't try diving dry until you have completed atleast 20 open water dives (just my opinion) so that you can get your skills dialed to reduce stress. The first 20 dives (again, just my own opinion) are ciritical in the development of each diver. The sumer before last, in the St. Lawrence river, there was an instructor who took his student to something like 80 to 110 feet ON HER CHECKOUT DIVE. This was a technical dive (it was treated as an overhead enviorment due to boat traffic). She ended up using her elevator button, as I've heard it called (when divers use their bouyancy compensator to go up) and she ended up with an air embolism after a bouyant ascent and required to be picked up by helicopter and flown to the nearest hyperbaric chamber for recompression. Now, not all instructors will be this incompetent, but I would still be careful not to rush your progression.

ok everyone
i am located in oxford england im not a certified diver let me tell you all why i want to do a try dive in a drysuit the reason why is this back in 2014/ 2015 i was promised by someone who i had asked about doing a try dive in a drysuit whitch they promised me they would help me to do a try dive in a drysuit they had told me to get an open water divers pack and a drysuit diver manual witch i had done so cost £85 i had been reading this and studying the manual even printing off the knowledge forms and answering the questions on them, but he never kept his promise then someone else said they would help me ner came around this is why i am wanting to do this i know there is a dive place that has said they will help me and i had done loads of try dives while wearing a wetsuit and thought i would like the oppertunity to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool unfortunatly i couldnt do anythink in 2016 due to loss of family member losing my job and also braking 2 fingers i had to put it on hold but know a new year this is something i would like to be able to say that in 2017 i achieved my goal and ambition of doing a simple try dive while wearing a drysuit plus its somethink that i personally would like to be able to do yes it may take me a significant amount of time to absorb all the required skills and info; i am able to pick up the physical skills quicker if i see it demonstrtated first i can then try it myself Also i want an Instructor who is PATIENT!!!! Someone who is willing to demonstrate something more than once and is willing to WAIT for me to be ready to move on to the next skill and is willing to work with me all i want is to be able to see what its like to do a try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool i really want to do this with out having to sign up for anything just to be able to do a simple try dive while wearing a drysuit with a qualifyed intstructor in a swimming pool its one of my ambitions and goals that i would like to achieve maybe to have a picture of me in drysuit on the side of pool entering pool underwater exiting pool and back on side of pool

Back
Top Bottom