Possible to be too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pardsie

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Noob question. Is it possible to be too warm while diving if you say wear a 7MM suit while diving in tropical waters? I plan on diving almost exclusively warm water ...Key Largo in November...Carribean islands Bonnaire ..Belize...Caymans. I just ordered a 3MM jumpsuit hopefully that will be adequate for those waters. Say I go to 5MM instead is it possible for that to be too warm while doing single or maybe double dives?

YES you can get too warm.

I wore a 5mm for my cavern confined water dives in an 85 degree pool and thought I was going to DIE.

I wore a Trilam (very little thermal protection) while diving in Roatan and did get a bit chilled towards the end of the dives.

Wore a 3MM in Bonaire last April and it was perfect.

I would say you should be ok in a 3MM.

Another thing to consider is more neoprene=more lead needed. I always make it a point to dive with as much insulation as I need but no more than I need.

Yes.

This only happened to me once, but it did happen on a beach night dive off Santa Barbara. I had on a 7.5 mm two piece, the usual suit for diving in that part of the world. I got in the water and quickly got overheated. Pulling down the zipper to increase water circulation into the suit did not alleviate the problem so I called the dive as it was very uncomfortable. It stands in my memory as one of the few dives I ever called because of equipment.

Yes, it happened to me several times when I first started diving. Once, while diving in Cozumel in January -- with a 3mm full suit for a check out dive, I became extremely light headed and hot. My wife said it looked like a dishwashing machine when she unzipped the back of my wetsuit. I no longer dive with neoprene when the water is 78F or higher. A skin works great for me. Definitely got rid of the "heat" induced headaches I experienced early on in my diving.

i'm a very cold natured person, and i wear a 3mm full suit in tropical waters, and it's perfect for me. any less than that and i would be cold for sure.......especially with repetitive dives. love my 3mm:) 7 would definitely definitely be too much!

It is all personal. Depending on the person you might overheat. I dive a 3mm in tropical waters and feel comfortable, but do no 1, and only 1, person that dives in a 7mm. She is very cold all the time!

You also want to think about your comfort immediately before and after the dive.

You *might* be able to stand a 7mm in warm water, but how about sitting on the boat in the hot sun, in your black wetsuit, waiting to get in that water?

OMG, a 7mm wetsuit in tropical waters? I'm gasping just thinking about it.

We were diving a shallow dive in 64*F water off Catalina last month in our 7mm wetsuits/hood/gloves. There was a class finishing their OW certs so my wife and I jumped off the boat and took a little tour. My wife was comfortable and I was sweating, pulling at my neck letting water into the suit.

On the next dive we moved to a pinnacle less than a mile offshore. Expecting the same temps, I removed my gloves. Turns out the water was 56*F and I needed my gloves, but at least I was not sweating. My ungloved hands make good radiators if I'm overheating.

We wear 3mm wetsuits in 75-81*F Carribean water, no hood. 81 is about my maximum for the 3mm. Beyond that I'm in a skin, or a skin and shortie if doing three or more consecutive dives.

You can always buy a polypro dive skin (1mm equivalent) and a tropical hood to add to the 3mm if you feel the 3mm is not enough on your 2nd and 3rd dives. A hood make a huge difference.

I just got OWD certified and planning on going to Florida Keys and Bahamas from Nov to March. Would you say that a 5 mm suit is sufficient for winter diving in Bahamas? I looked through several posts/websites and people are quoting anything from a skinsuit to a 7mm+ wetsuit (thankfully noone mentioned a drysuit yet for those waters :)

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom