Possible to be too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got OWD certified and planning on going to Florida Keys and Bahamas from Nov to March. Would you say that a 5 mm suit is sufficient for winter diving in Bahamas? I looked through several posts/websites and people are quoting anything from a skinsuit to a 7mm+ wetsuit (thankfully noone mentioned a drysuit yet for those waters :)

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Looking online, the average water temps for the Keys/Bahamas will be about 75 degrees in Nov, dropping to high 60s in late Dec/early Jan, then climbing back to 75 by March.

As a "thicker" male I have a fairly strong cold tolerance and would not dive those temps in just a skin, even my heavier polypro skin. Personally I'd dive 75*F with a 3mm and supplement with the heavier polypro skin, hood, and gloves as the temps dropped. My wife, who also has a good cold tolerance, would probably do the same, but with her 5mm, supplementing as the temps dropped. My daughter, who has absolutely no cold tolerance, would wear a fully supplemented 5mm at 75*F and switch to her 7mm as temps dropped into the high 60's.

Cold tolerance is absolutely a personal thing. A 3*F drop in air temp usually isn't noticed much, but a 3*F drop in water temp is definitely noticeable, especially on multi-dive days. Since the range from Nov to Mar is only about 6 or 7 degrees, you should be fine in the 5mm with the proper supplemental exposure gear.

Thank you! That was very informative. Just out of curiosity, do you and your wife dive with a dry suit in CA?

Yes you can be too warm. It is a personal choice as to what you are comfortable in. I dove in 56 degree water with 5/4mm Merino lined suit and gloves and hood and was toasty.

Thank you! That was very informative. Just out of curiosity, do you and your wife dive with a dry suit in CA?

No, we dive wet. Neither my wife nor I have the desire (today) to dive dry. I remember flying Navy jets in a dry suit in the extreme north Pacific and distinctly recall the claustrophobia inducing, overheating "suit up" gymnastics. I start hyperventilating just watching people put on and take off their dry suits. The people I know who dive dry love it, but I won't be one of them. Purely a personal preference.

I've gone diving in 51*F waters with my supplemented 7mm wetsuit and was easily fine for three dives. During my certification dives I was wearing a titanium lined 7mm Farmer John rental and was sweating in 51*F water! I had to take my gloves off to cool off.

My wife supplements with a 6mm hooded vest at 50-60*F. I figure adding my 3mm shortie over would drop me down to about 45*F, which appears to be about as cold as you'll find in mid-winter recreational Bay Area diving. Realistically though, below 50*F my wife would point the dive truck to the 5 to 10 degree warmer SoCal waters and a Catalina boat (Sand Dollar btw. Great boat).

Back
Top Bottom