Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, feel free to make any changes you feel are needed but don't force changes on me to fix the fraud of climate change which has been around since at least the 1970s.

One example is the push to ban plastic straws, plastic bags, etc because a turtle was found trying to snort algae off of coral using a straw. Look at this video and you will see that it is most likely third world countries causing the problem...not me at home or in Cozumel:

Liveleak.com - This is a river in Santo Domingo, DR. First rain after a long drought. All this will end up in the Ocean.

If people in Cozumel are using the frauds of climate change etc to justify the reef closures, they need to be removed from the discussion.

the fraud of climate change
:rofl3: Overwhelming scientific evidence has been widely presented that man-made climate change is a major problem for the world, but some are going to hopelessly live in their fantasy world. Logic and reason are totally lost on those.

One example is the push to ban plastic straws, plastic bags, etc because a turtle was found trying to snort algae off of coral using a straw. Look at this video and you will see that it is most likely third world countries causing the problem.
True, third world countries are the major contributors to that problem. However, that does not excuse any country. All should ban those, and being among the first would be great.

And your turtle example fails. Plenty of animals have been killed by plastic pollution. I won't bother listing examples as I doubt you'd accept those facts either. :shakehead:

This sounds like the dive community was not involved in making the sausage. Interesting if that is factual.

I also read a lot of comments that continue the unproven claims of climate change, rising sea temperatures, etc.

I see on a local website: "Water temp: 81F." That sounds about normal for this time of year.

Maybe I'm missing something but it has been proven that the sea temperatures are rising. Yes, the sea temperature should be around 81F but the problem is it only takes a degree change in water temperatures to cause a bleaching effect on corral. The reefs are very fragile organisms.

"Corals bleach for a number of reasons (and scientists are studying coral bleaching to better understand what causes it) but one of the main triggers is unusually warm seawater. Corals are very sensitive to changes in temperature. Water that warms only one degree Celsius can cause corals to bleach. The ocean is warming as climate changes, and, thus, the amount of bleached corals is expected to become more pronounced."
Corals and Climate | UCAR Center for Science Education

annual_global_sea_surface_temperature_anomalies_from_1880_to_2015_0.png

Annual global sea surface temperature anomalies from 1880 to 2015 with superimposed linear trend (Base period 1951–1980), red positive, blue negative. From: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/global/globe/ocean/ytd/12/1880-2016.

Overwhelming scientific evidence has been widely presented that man-made climate change is a major problem for the world, but some are going to hopelessly live in their fantasy world. Logic and reason are totally lost on those.

True, third world countries are the major contributors to that problem. However, that does not excuse any country. All should ban those, and being among the first would be great.

And your turtle example fails. Plenty of animals have been killed by plastic pollution. I won't bother listing examples as I doubt you'd accept those facts either.

Don, when you quit driving a gasoline vehicle, stop flying on airplanes, using products derived from fossil fuels, use natural gas or propane, electricity produced from fossil fuels, etc. you may be immune of calls of being a hypocrite. Your position on this issue still should never be used to impact my life. Make your life style changes and leave me alone.

As for your "scientific evidence" it was shown years ago that people fudged data and shall we go back to other claims of the scientific community that were hoaxes like the egg scare from decades ago.

Well if nothing else as we wait for news, this is certainly enlightening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom