Possible move to Fiji, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hcs3

Reaction score
A job has opened in Fiji which I have a chance at getting. The position would be located in Savu. I have never been to Fiji (or anywhere in the south Pacific), and I will not be able to see it first hand before I accept the position. I would be interested in hearing anything and everything you have to share about your experiences in Fiji, particularly Savu. Any photos you may have, or links to websites (beyond the tourism links which google supplies) would all be appreciated.

I realize Savu is not great for diving, but please understand I'm looking for more than dive reviews. Of course, dive reviews on locations nearby Savu would be helpful :wink:

TIA

Henry

Hi there,

I was just wondering if you took the position in Fiji and if so, how are you liking it? i'm an instructor and I'm planning on coming to Fiji next month to find work. Any tips on how easy it will be to get a job, or if you know of any around?

Thanks!

Andrea
andreaagarwal@yahoo.com

I spent 7-10 days there two years ago and really liked the people. I found them to be very friendly and very sincere for the most part.

As an example, several people I met invited me to stay at their villages in their homes. I enjoyed conversations with them about the political situation and life in general there.

A more extreme example: I was propositioned by three young (high school age?) women selling their bodies (well, temporary acces to them anyway) outside my hotel room. The economy was very bad then and they needed money. I told them I had a girlfriend in the States and was loyal to her. Instead of poo-pooing my response, it started a 20-minute conversation on fidelity and honesty in relationships and two of the three seemed genuinely interested in that kind of "intercourse."

Dr. Bill

and found the people genuinely friendly. I did notice a difference between the native Fijians (very friendly) and the Fijian-Indian population which tended to be less laid back and more business-like.

I was surprised to hear of Dr. Bill's near encounter as I was told that they are very 'proper' and in fact there are 'dress' standards in the native villages....but then again, once you are in the 'city' it probably all changes.

All in all, it was the best vacation I've had in recent years.

I lived in Suva (not Savu) for 3 years when I was younger (wasn't certified :() and I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure what the situation is right now but before the military coup it was a wonderful place. Some friends and I hiked across the main island (Viti Levu) and lost the trail (we were going in the right direction but the trail was overgrown) as part of our Sea Venture (like the Boy Scouts) - some natives took us to their village and were incredibly hospitable. Of course, they showed us where their ancestors had murdered some missionaries some 500 years prior and even brought out the axe that supposedly did the harm ... they were cannibals back then. The natives in the cities are not as friendly but if you venture out into the tribes you won't find more hospitable people in the world.

Of course, things may have changed since the coup and my memories of the place were as a 11-14 year old child so take it for what its worth. I thought that I'd miss not having TV (satellite was very expensive back then) but there is so much to do out there that I didn't realize there was no TV! If you like a slow lifestyle you'll love Fiji - I still remember my years there as the best of my life.

Best of luck
Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom