Possible Key Largo Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divechilly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm thinking of going to Key Largo for a few days. Can anyone recommend good dive spots, diver operators, and places to stay? Anything to avoid?

Thanks.

Check out Sea Dwellers for a great package. We were ther in Dec. Stayed at the Holidy Inn. The Sea Dweller docks right behind so you can walk to the boat. Breakfast buffet was included. They even threw in an extra dive (The Speigel Grove) for like 10$

Stay at the Hungry Pelican in Key Largo for anywhere between $80 and $100 per night plus tax. Dive with Silent World ... 10 dives for $199 + tax. If you're looking for different operators DiversCity and Island Ventures are a couple of good ones but more expensive.

a couple of good ops are hms minnow and he runs pkgs out of holiday inn, also conch republic divers will also take care of you and he is a scubaboard member named capt gary.

pickens_46929:
Stay at the Hungry Pelican in Key Largo for anywhere between $80 and $100 per night plus tax. Dive with Silent World ... 10 dives for $199 + tax. If you're looking for different operators DiversCity and Island Ventures are a couple of good ones but more expensive.

I just got back from doing this. Silent World is top notch. Professional, fun, and about 10 divers on the boat. The diving was not that great since there was a lot of wind, waves, and surge. (There were small craft advisories every day).

I intend to go back in June or so and use the remaining two trips of my five trip package.

I dove with Ocean Divers in October I would highly recommend them. They don't provide a guide, but for an extra $50 you can have a DM go with you. Everyone is polite, there's a laid back feel on the boat (which is pretty fast, I hate long slow boat rides) and they pretty much let you do what you want. Also, they dive the Grove almost every day.

I'm leaving in 10 days to dive in Key Largo. I'm booked with Silent World and staying at the Hungry Pelican. Hope the weather holds......
C-Dawg

Have fun. We did the same thing (HP, SW) and had a great time. If there is any chance of surge beware. I got horribly sick! They were a great crew and the dives were nice.

Miranda

We stayed to the Ocean Point Suites. Not anything fancy but roomy 'apartments' at a reasonable prices. It was great to have a place to make breakfast or a quick lunch. We dove with both Quiessence and Scuba Du. They both run small (4-6 pack) boats and provide great service. There is a great little Cuban restaurant there that is worth a meal or two. (Skirt steak and tres leches cake)
My all time favorite place to dive and take pictures is just down the road off Marathon. It is a dive on Flagler's Barge. The sides of the barge are completely gone except for the metal crossbars. It is a 20-30 foot dive so you get a lot of good natural light for photos and the vessel is so packed with fish you have to almost push them away to get through. There is even a nurse shark that has been resting under the end of it on multiple dives. Tilden's is who we dive with there. They have large and small boats and the crew is fabulous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom