possible Indiana dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terfmop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone dove Raccoon Lake or Rockville lake in IN? Does anyone have any other Indiana locations that they go to?

I have been boating for several years at Raccoon lake and have yet to see anyone diving. I would be interested to hear if anyone has been able to dive there.

One of these days I'm going to have to dive Clear Lake since we have had a house there for many years. I wouldn't try it during the day as too many boats are present and many (i.e. drunken boaters) think a diver down flag means come closer and look at the Van Halen flag. There is also a lot of fishing done near the point where it drops off rapidy, so be prepared to cut some fishing line. On second though, I'll think I'll pass on this dive.

I did not see Phillips quarry in Muncie listed.

LakeScubaDiver:
terfmop, here are some dive sites in Indiana: http://www.lakediver.com/map/indiana/indiana.html

I wouldn't dive Raccoon during the summer. Wayyy to much boat traffic, if they would let you dive it.
I have dove Sunset in Linton and it is ok, but nothing to get excited about.
I have heard about folks diving Fowler Park. I started checking into it last year and everyone ended up backing out. I know for sure that it is loaded with fish.
I have access to a private lake near Brazil if anyone is interested. I have never dove it, due to lack of buddy. I have been told that it is fairly shallow, 15-20.
Forgot about the strip pit on Fort Harrison terfmop. Not sure if they totally fenced it off or not. Use to go swimming and boating, until DNR would run you off.
You have got to get certified!! I know May.

Dan, I know someone that regularly dives Clear Lake. They do it when the boat traffic is down. From what I understand, if you like to see the bottom it is your kind of dive. If you are looking for something else to look at, dive someplace else.

I don't really agree with it being that great of viz. It used to be great but then there was some problem with septic and lawn maintenance. New sanitary sewers were put in a couple of years ago and viz is starting to come back. This lake was probably (and may again be) the cleanest lake in the state. Shallow around the edge is sand. Deep is muck and marl and very dark from what I have been told. The fishing line scares me as there are large number of fishermen at all hours on this lake. Diving during the week when most boaters are not around would be possible. This lake also has fewer rules than any other place I know, so traffic begins early and ends late on the weekends.

crpntr133:
I wouldn't dive Raccoon during the summer. Wayyy to much boat traffic, if they would let you dive it.
I have dove Sunset in Linton and it is ok, but nothing to get excited about.
I have heard about folks diving Fowler Park. I started checking into it last year and everyone ended up backing out. I know for sure that it is loaded with fish.
I have access to a private lake near Brazil if anyone is interested. I have never dove it, due to lack of buddy. I have been told that it is fairly shallow, 15-20.
Forgot about the strip pit on Fort Harrison terfmop. Not sure if they totally fenced it off or not. Use to go swimming and boating, until DNR would run you off.
You have got to get certified!! I know May.

Dan, I know someone that regularly dives Clear Lake. They do it when the boat traffic is down. From what I understand, if you like to see the bottom it is your kind of dive. If you are looking for something else to look at, dive someplace else.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't know about the viz but there isn't a thing to look at, other than the bottom.

crpntr133:

I'll dive it with you Wally. Heck, you've come out to BS to dive with me, I can return the favor and come to your part of the state. Maybe we can setup a date for May?

crpntr133:

I used to live at Fort Harrison and fished the lakes there quite a bit. Which one is the "strip pit"? We used to call one Delaware Lake and the other Duck Pond. There was a third up until the dam broke. I would LOVE to dive Delaware Lake given how much fishing I did there as a kid, but I'd imagine the DNR would have other ideas. I'm sure they'd think the liability is too high. I just might have to check into it though!

Actually, there is a wreck (sort of) from the turn of the century or early 1900s. There was apparently a boat with a large number of people on it that capsized and several drowned. The fish apparently get pretty large along the walls as well. Other than minor things like that, I would agree that there probably isn't much to look at and I'm sure it's pretty cold at depth.

crpntr133:
I think you misunderstood me. I don't know about the viz but there isn't a thing to look at, other than the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom