possible Indiana dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't recall Delaware Lake being very deep when we were working on several DNR projects at the Fort in the mid 90s during the transition. IIRC, they darn near drained Delaware Lake during construction of the golf course. I can't imagine the Duck Pond being any deeper. Those were the only two lakes I was aware of, but if you look at Google Earth, there is another lake adjacent to the golf course and a few pits north of Fall Creek.

Divin'Hoosier:
I'll dive it with you Wally. Heck, you've come out to BS to dive with me, I can return the favor and come to your part of the state. Maybe we can setup a date for May?

I used to live at Fort Harrison and fished the lakes there quite a bit. Which one is the "strip pit"? We used to call one Delaware Lake and the other Duck Pond. There was a third up until the dam broke. I would LOVE to dive Delaware Lake given how much fishing I did there as a kid, but I'd imagine the DNR would have other ideas. I'm sure they'd think the liability is too high. I just might have to check into it though!

crpntr133:
I wouldn't dive Raccoon during the summer. Wayyy to much boat traffic, if they would let you dive it.
I have dove Sunset in Linton and it is ok, but nothing to get excited about.
I have heard about folks diving Fowler Park. I started checking into it last year and everyone ended up backing out. I know for sure that it is loaded with fish.
I have access to a private lake near Brazil if anyone is interested. I have never dove it, due to lack of buddy. I have been told that it is fairly shallow, 15-20.
Forgot about the strip pit on Fort Harrison terfmop. Not sure if they totally fenced it off or not. Use to go swimming and boating, until DNR would run you off.
You have got to get certified!! I know May.

I'm up for Fowler Park with ya....seems like a nice and easy type of place for a soon-to-be newbie like me.

Dan Gibson:
I don't recall Delaware Lake being very deep when we were working on several DNR projects at the Fort in the mid 90s during the transition. IIRC, they darn near drained Delaware Lake during construction of the golf course. I can't imagine the Duck Pond being any deeper. Those were the only two lakes I was aware of, but if you look at Google Earth, there is another lake adjacent to the golf course and a few pits north of Fall Creek.

I noticed the same thing on Google Earth yesterday afternoon! The lake adjacent to the golf course just might be the one I remember having the dam problem. You used to get to it by taking a road back into the area off of Shafter Ave by the running track. For some reason my recollection is telling me we called it New Lake or something like that, but I can't remember for certain. That seems to be the approximate location of the lake we both noticed on Google earth. I did notice that it looks like there is a campground adjacent to Delaware Lake now. I'd imagine the DNR built that for the park? I haven't spent much time back in there since the DNR took over. It will always be Fort Harrison to me and it just feels strange no longer being a military base.

terfmop:
I'm up for Fowler Park with ya....seems like a nice and easy type of place for a soon-to-be newbie like me.

Lets both see what we can find out about diving Fowler. Jim at the dive shop was the one that told me about it but it was years ago that he dove it. That would be a nice dive for a newb. Also Linton, other than the limited viz.

Good idea about getting a group together Jim. WT and I tried it two years ago and had several show but there was a oil slick on the surface so we headed to Linton. The last time I checked there were even showers at the park.
BTW, the Fort Harrison that I was refering to is a local street. Terfmop is a fellow Hautian. :D

crpntr133:
BTW, the Fort Harrison that I was refering to is a local street. Terfmop is a fellow Hautian. :D

LOL! That is just too funny. Obviously I went off on an entirely different tangent.

No problem. Made for some interesting tidbits of info. :D

Man, it won't be fun in any dive sites nearby a golf course. I would like to stay away....

The dam at Delaware Lake is just west of what appears to be a dock. I don't recall if that was ever replaced (not part of our project), but it sure looks like it on Google Earth. There were some studies done on it, but I was not involved. I was involved with the multi purpose trail, the duck pond area, parking lots at Cherry Tree and Delaware Lake, the saddle barn area off Glenn Road and the gatehouse along Shafter.

I don't know anything about the lake east of the golf course.

btw, the parking lot at Delaware lake is for picnic tables and shelters. It's not a campground. It used to be a place where you could hook up trailers.

Divin'Hoosier:
I noticed the same thing on Google Earth yesterday afternoon! The lake adjacent to the golf course just might be the one I remember having the dam problem. You used to get to it by taking a road back into the area off of Shafter Ave by the running track. For some reason my recollection is telling me we called it New Lake or something like that, but I can't remember for certain. That seems to be the approximate location of the lake we both noticed on Google earth. I did notice that it looks like there is a campground adjacent to Delaware Lake now. I'd imagine the DNR built that for the park? I haven't spent much time back in there since the DNR took over. It will always be Fort Harrison to me and it just feels strange no longer being a military base.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom