Possible fraud using SB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

messenone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Dear all,

I have the suspition that I got ripped off and I would like to know if closed threads in the classifieds can be removed by the author (after they are closed by the author).

There is a thread in the classifieds for Dive computers from someone selling a dive computer ( I dont want to give more info because you will know immediatelly who it is - I dont want to give out his username until I know for sure that it was a scam).

I have already created screen shots but its always good to have the thread online.
(I am only saying this just in case the author has permissions to remove the thread).

What happened is the following:

We talked via SB and then via email.
I sent the money via paypal 2 days ago 10 MArch 2010.
After I paid via Paypal, I got a tracking number (UPS) which said that my package was delivered sometime in December 2009. Delivered somewhere in NY whereas the address I gave him was in FL.

This smelled fishy to me so I opened a case with Paypal disputing the transfer of money.

Then on Friday (today) at 2:40 AM he sent me another email saying that the package was picked up by UPS today (I am guessing Thursday).

How can someone send me a tracking number without sending the package first.
Why would they give me a tracking number of something else (with overall weight 1 lb).

I think I got ripped off. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear all,

I have the suspition that I got ripped off and I would like to know if closed threads in the classifieds can be removed by the author (after they are closed by the author).

There is a thread in the classifieds for Dive computers from someone selling a dive computer ( I dont want to give more info because you will know immediatelly who it is - I dont want to give out his username until I know for sure that it was a scam).

I have already created screen shots but its always good to have the thread online.
(I am only saying this just in case the author has permissions to remove the thread).

What happened is the following:

We talked via SB and then via email.
I sent the money via paypal 2 days ago 10 MArch 2010.
After I paid via Paypal, I got a tracking number (UPS) which said that my package was delivered sometime in December 2009. Delivered somewhere in NY whereas the address I gave him was in FL.

This smelled fishy to me so I opened a case with Paypal disputing the transfer of money.

Then on Friday (today) at 2:40 AM he sent me another email saying that the package was picked up by UPS today (I am guessing Thursday).

How can someone send me a tracking number without sending the package first.
Why would they give me a tracking number of something else (with overall weight 1 lb).

I think I got ripped off. What do you think?

I believe UPS recycles tracking numbers. I have ordered things and on more than one occasion the tracking number says that it was delivered but then after a little bit (few hours to a day I think, I forget exactly) it updates to the current order and shows the correct data. I would check the site again and see if the tracking data has been updated.

Good luck with the situation and hopefully it works out for the best.

I believe UPS recycles tracking numbers. I have ordered things and on more than one occasion the tracking number says that it was delivered but then after a little bit (few hours to a day I think, I forget exactly) it updates to the current order and shows the correct data. I would check the site again and see if the tracking data has been updated.

If this is the case then I will apologise as soon as the situation clears out.
Both via email and in public.

The only reason I acted in such a way is to protect my rights.

I hope its a mixup and everything will work out but you never know.

Check the tracking number again and see if the particulars changed. Do a copy and paste of the number to be sure.

Check the tracking number again and see if the particulars changed. Do a copy and paste of the number to be sure.

I will keep monitoring it just in case the guy is legit.

p.s. you link for donating money for the legal defense of Scuba Board gives a Fatal Error. You might wann look into that.

Last week I received an email for an automatic shipment from a winery. It contained a UPS shipping number.

I received a second email saying the shipment had been canceled.

I called the winery and they said UPS was having trouble with their tracking numbers and the shipment had been sent.

The shipment arrived as scheduled, but the tracking number I had originally never came up as being shipped.

Thanks everyone for your input.

It seems that it was a mistake by UPS. The new tracking number works and it will be delivered Monday.

I closed the dispute on Paypal and I apologize to the fellow SB member (no need to mention names) for all the trouble.

Thanks again all!

Having worked for DHL for a number of years I can second that. Pretty common. But, if you don't see anything after a day or so it might be time to start asking some questions. It doesn't necessarily mean it never got shipped - sometimes the origin station loses things.

Glad it worked out! Enjoy your new computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom