Poseidon Xtreme Dive - nitrox? Sealed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shepherd

New
Reaction score
Hi guys! I got a Poseidon X-treme Dive just several months ago. Was wondering if it was nitrox ready since I've heard conflicting opinions. Was also wondering about the safety of using these regs in cave/wreck environs since it doesn't seem to be environmentally sealed...

shepherd:
Hi guys! I got a Poseidon X-treme Dive just several months ago. Was wondering if it was nitrox ready since I've heard conflicting opinions. Was also wondering about the safety of using these regs in cave/wreck environs since it doesn't seem to be environmentally sealed...

hey welcome to the boards shepherd! i too own an xtreme and have used nitrox 32% on it. although the manual says that the xtreme dive is specifically to be used with air only i know you can use it with nitrox with up to 40% o2. Even Philtech(local distributors and servicers of poseidon) says its ok and have used eanX on xtreme dives without any hitches.

Honestly i think its a marketing gimmick of poseidon to sell the separate Xtreme Nitox (green cap) for nitrox only dives:)

Ditto on what Spoon says, anything is good for 40%.
Not to worry about the "non-sealed" feature, the massive thermodynamic heat sink property of the 1st stage body will keep things working fine even encased in a glob of ice.

Bob3:
Ditto on what Spoon says, anything is good for 40%.
Not to worry about the "non-sealed" feature, the massive thermodynamic heat sink property of the 1st stage body will keep things working fine even encased in a glob of ice.

What about mud/small debris getting caught in the spring? Isn't there a danger that it'll free-flow?

shepherd:
What about mud/small debris getting caught in the spring? Isn't there a danger that it'll free-flow?

You need not worry about environmental sealing. the passage that water takes in through and around the spring is enlarged so it does not have a chance to freeze. In a sense it is vented so much that it cannot freeze. Only when a little film of water gets on the metal that it freezes. And no the mud will not cause problems.

As for nitrox, it will be ok.

rescuediver009:
You need not worry about environmental sealing. the passage that water takes in through and around the spring is enlarged so it does not have a chance to freeze. In a sense it is vented so much that it cannot freeze. Only when a little film of water gets on the metal that it freezes. And no the mud will not cause problems.

As for nitrox, it will be ok.

guess what hes asking is since it is not environmentally sealed, small debris like sand and sediments, especially in caves can accidentally get into the 1st stage and cause some problems. i even know of a lds that regularly bashes the design of the newer poseidons becasue of the exposed first stage.

me and shepherd( philippines) never go ice diving and having our 1st stages freeze is not the problem. the concern is if debris caught in the spring, first stage will cause any problems underwater? i guess poseidon studied this one, i am also sure they know what they are doing:)

shepherd:

i think it will not free flow even if debris gets caught in it. if you look at the diagram there is no way that debris can enter the internal mechanisms. the 1st stage only exposes the spring which acts as a heat sink. that is why it is not environmentally sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom