Portwashington,Wi Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well the day started with a call from a local diver,droped my boat in and headed up to his location,His dive bud was late so we loaded his kit in my boat from the shore and headed off to the Niagara,on bouy we did a dive paln to find a hull section.

Dive #1 as we hit depth,vis was down to 15'<> 20'- from the day before,and temps 38 on my gauge, we hung the wreck line,Jim had his cam set and off we were-and we were off! missed our target,had a lot of line out! and I got mad and sat down,well I ran out of steam,Jim found me and we were back to the main wreck section,I took some photos of the china on site and ,low on air I missed the mooring bouy,did a short SS,and was only 50' from the dive boat as I made it topside,looking down seen Jim was on his SS,
Dive #2 Picked up Fred,and air=was back on the dive site,I was able this time just to shoot photos,seen a few Bourbot,small Gobies,tons of china plate parts,dive was great,vis was ok=all in all a Great day to dive,I dove dry the other 2 guys dove wet,brrrrrrrr! I guess I was a knob cause I got on the boat first as they froze their b___'s off but they did not make me walk the plank, so this was a great day to dive,hope to hop up to some other sites next. Photo is of some china plates broken on lake floor,
Man this is so cool!

"Take only Photos,Leave only bubbles"
Brad

Well all is good,Pastor Mike and I met at the Portwashington Marina this A.M. and loaded gear,Our Capt.Aaron helped out,
The Lake was FLAT! we did the Niagara wreck and this time I took Mike to the Boilers,did a nice tour,met some Bourbot,vis was 20' Temps in the mid 40's,and did the rope back to the main wreck section,did a short tour,some one has a mess of china parts cleaned up in a north area,nice to look at. We did our saftey stop and off North for our next dive.
Dive 2, We headed north to Cedargrove the site of the Atlanta wreck,this wreck is a shallow dive,but still a fun dive=we used No's from a dive bud,Swimjim and he was dead nuts-THANKS JIM! we droped 2-anchors and did a surface swim to find the first section,once down, wow Great vis,warm water 50's,and tons of fish,small school of perch=MMMMMMMMMMMMMMm Good! shiners,gobies,ect.This was a way to burn some air and see a GreatLakes wreck! Tons more photos,so all was good and time to get back prior to the bad weather.

Side trip report=at the Marina met some divers from the local dive club that just did the Northener south of Portwashington in 130' of water,They had vis of 70'+ feet,That is great!!! seems like it was a great dive for the group from Divers Delight boat,and Urge to Submerge club !
So with dives like this, early in our short season its going to be GREAT !!! This year,
Pic is, Atlanta, Cedargrove, Wisc.

Brad

I was on the Northerner dive today. The Northerner is a two masted schooner that sits upright and mostly intact in 135fow. I dropped down the anchor line and about when I passed 80 feet I could see the whole ship. The Northerner is eighty feet long and I could see it and a large expanse of bottom. That tells me the viz was 100 feet plus. This was my first "deep" dive with my Poseidon xstream reg and as billed it breathes better at 125 feet then it does at 50. I wish i had my Nikonos today. I could have gotten some awesome pictures. The light penetrated so well that I only used my dive light to look in the chain locker. It doesen't get better then that. I've been on this wreck when the viz was only four feet or so. What a difference. The only problem with todays dive is that it was so short because of the depth. The dive master ran the bouy up so now it is marked and will be easy to locate. I'll have to go back and photograph this schooner and post some current pic's here.

Jim

SwimJim:
s billed it breathes better at 125 feet then it does at 50. I wish i had my Nikonos today. I could have gotten some awesome pictures. The light penetrated so
Jim

Jim,
NO NIKONOS! The photo is worth more than a old divers story!
You see the weather,A.M. REAL EARLY LOOKS GOOD!!!
Sounds like your going to be up way too late to get a early one in,see ya top side!
Think we may try to beat the weather,
Brad :lightingz

I finaly got my pictures from the Niagara dive back. Its a bummer when the camera leaks. Not everything was ruined though. Here are some of the better ones. I'm still waiting on my roll I took on the Atlanta. The Viz wasen't the greatest on the Niagara that day. Only about twenty, maybe twenty five feet. Thank goodness for my 17MM lense these were taken with.

jim

Made a call to SwimJim after work was done early on this hot day,with a plan to do a solo on a local wreck,Jim was off work too, and I asked if he was into a dive,the wreck the Northener was the choice aprox 10 miles from his home launch site,gear was loaded on his boat and off to the wreck,first set of GPS no#s he had took us deeper than 150,so we tryed the second set and Wam! we were on the site~!
We geared up both dry suit's and in the water,the local fishing charters must of thought we were nuts getting off a perfectly good boat into the water,but they had folks catching fish as Jim could tell by the folks yelling!
As we were on the way down the vis was YUK,till I was at about 80' it all opened up,and there she was,
at a 100' I stopped ,to shoot some photos with my cheap camera case,but with the clouds and and poor water above my flash had not enough steam to light her up,Jim shot some photos and I hope they turn out,vis was at depth 75'+ water temps=well I did not look,but not bad,did a tour of several holds to see the timbers and droped down to the bottom off the bow,and and as all good things the dive had to end.
So this was a great day to cool off!and look forward to dive wet this weekend=first time in Wisconsin This year,
The photos is the bow section of the Northener, the front hold area,not too good,
Brad

Dove the Northerner with Moneysavr today. One of those rare days when everything went right. The Northerner is a pretty little two masted schooner that went down in 1868 with a load of cord wood. She lies near Port Washington Wisconsin in 135 fow. She sits up right and is mostly intact. Attached are a few photo's. One of those rare rolls when almost everything turned out. :D

Jim

Wow some nice photos of our dive,man that camera is doing a Great job,Thanks for the photos! my dive skills look sweet!
:crafty: ha!ha!
Brad
Todays dive was fun too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom