portrait opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't do it. It would destroy the whole composition. The background subject, simply by its presence, adds meaning to the photograph.

Just my artistic opinion (Bachelor of Fine Arts / Painting and Drawing, Univ. of Ga. '68)

the Kraken

The Kraken:
Don't do it. It would destroy the whole composition. The background subject, simply by its presence, adds meaning to the photograph.

Just my artistic opinion (Bachelor of Fine Arts / Painting and Drawing, Univ. of Ga. '68)

the Kraken

Thanks. I was not sure but looking at the 81/2x11 print my eyes are continuously drawn to her face, then the garland and on down to the hands, the part person doe;s not seem to register. I think this is what you look for in a portrait but I thought I might be biased (my photo)

What, you AREN"T working for National Geographic ?????

the Kraken

My opinion: The other person helps set the subject in a scene rather than totally singling them out, but it does distract me a bit. I think a shorter depth of field would have helped, but it's still great as-is. Add my vote to the "no crop" pile.

The Kraken:
What, you AREN"T working for National Geographic ?????

the Kraken

I wish but I don't think they take people that get lucky now and again

Sreuly someone knows how to black out the other half person...????

The presence of the additional in the background adds subject matter and statement to the photograph.

One can paint a ballerina as a solo portrait, but like Degas, if several are incorporated in situ then it encourages the observer to think about the subject matter . . . no longer is it just a pretty picture of a pretty dancer, it's about a beautiful dancer engaged in something.

It is the same with this photograph . . . it makes the observer ask, what is happening here, is it an ancient ritual, is it a rite of passage . . . etc.

Don't mess with it.

the K

yay Leesa, I must be learning from you. I was thinking that also. ....don't know how to do it, but I can think it! very nice shot (Yap?)

Back
Top Bottom