Portable Compressor/No Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have to drive 2 hrs to have my tanks filled at 7 bucks per fill, so I'd like to get a compressor and do my on fills. Problem is that I have no experience what-so-ever with filling tanks. Where do I start?

I would call a local or trusted dive shop, or even your certifying agency (PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.). They could direct you to a location that wouldn't mind showing you how to properly fill tanks. They may also provide with a fill station certification. It is very easy, just don't get impatient when filling tanks and fill them too fast. Also, NEVER try and fill a tank that is out of VIP or Hydro date.
Mako makes a good portable compressor that you could even transport around in a pickup truck. It's comparable to a small generator, and has a honda engine.
There are others out there, but I know these are pretty good.
I hope this helps! Good luck.
-Ken
iDive: Choose a flavor...

I have to drive 2 hrs to have my tanks filled at 7 bucks per fill, so I'd like to get a compressor and do my on fills. Problem is that I have no experience what-so-ever with filling tanks. Where do I start?

Oxford is 2 hours from the closest fill? (maybe you mean 2 hours "round trip"?)

B'ham is only an hour away.
Gasden about 45 minutes

Gasden Scuba Center, directions from Oxford = 44 minutes according to http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...,-86.040792&sspn=0.0123,0.015471&ie=UTF8&z=11

not perfect, but you've got options. (I don't know Diddly about Gasden Scuba center though).

As for buying your compressor, something to think about is do you ever want to do Nitrox fills in the future. If so, figure out how you might add that later and the gear required for it. Just take it into consideration when deciding which compressor to get, even if it's down the road.

do you want gas or electric? If portable, I'm guessing gas.

when considering brands, research how hard it is to obtain parts for it. If you have to wait 6 weeks for a part for example, it will just add to your frustration.

Oxford is 2 hours from the closest fill? (maybe you mean 2 hours "round trip"?)

B'ham is only an hour away.
Gasden about 45 minutes

Yes, I meant 'round trip. Gadsden Scuba Center is where I got certified and is a great shop! But it too is a 2 hr round trip, it's actually located in Southside AL which is further away than Gadsden. I have access to a quarry here in town, that is only one mile from my house, so if I had my on compressor I could dive daily. Right now I'm limited to weekends b/c of the time it takes to drive to either Gadsden Scuba or Southern Skin Divers in B-ham. So I most certainly wanna get one.

one more thing to consider.... buying up a bunch of used cheap AL80's instead of a compressor. Then when you go get fills, get 10 filled at once. Would give you extra tanks to dive with.

the negative is that it takes longer to fill 10 tanks than 2 tanks, so it would add more time to your "fills" or maybe the possibility of having to leave them and pick them up the next day. (which defeats the purpose).

If you want a bigger electric compressor, Gary's Gulf Diver down in Orange Beach just went out of business and he's got his 19 cfm Mako Compressor and storage tanks for $5k. not a bad deal. not sure if it's single or three phase though. (I'm guessing it's three phase just because he's in a mobile building, but that's a poor assumption on my part. I don't think you'd see many 19cfm compressors that are single phase).

FS 19 cfm Mako Compressor The Deco Stop

several other compressors for sale over on DecoStop. (you'll need to register there to view threads)

FS...NEW 5 cfm compressor... The Deco Stop

FS: Portable Compressor (3cfm) The Deco Stop

plus some more.

Scubatodd.

Look at my website <sheldensportinggoods.com>
Several divers have my compressors and no one has a warranty like mine. 4.2 cfm and up to 4500psi with grade E air.
Frogman62
Jim Shelden

Don't expect to save money by buying a compressor, no matter how cheap you get it, the simple fact is maintenance, filtration, oil, etc. for a small compressor costs a significant fraction of what your spending now on air fills. Don't expect to save much time either at 20-30 minutes per tank fill with a small 3-4 cfm compressor, it would be quicker to buy 10 tanks and drive the hour each way to get them filled. What small compressor ownership does give you is flexibility, you choose when the time is spent filling tanks, your not locked into a diveshops 9-5 Mon-Fri hours, or rushing there after making a dive on Saturday morning to get tanks filled for Sunday. A compressor can also get you a lot of diving friends you never know you had, which leads to free air fills, liability concerns, sure they would not sue you, but what about that next of kin if something happens. Once you have thought through all this and have decided to go ahead and buy a compressor then you can start thinking about what kind and size you want. Is portability a major concern, there are plenty of units out there in the 3-5 CFM, 100-200 pound range that typically sell new for $4,000 and used for sometimes much less (I bought a 30 year old 3.2 CFM unit a few years ago for about $250, plus driving over a thousand miles round trip to pick up). The problem with most of these small units is they give up a lot for this portability, and are not designed to fill more than a few tanks at a time without need to cool down. You can also find real good deals on much heavier (both weight and durability) units in the 5-10 CFM range these units are intended to run hour after hour often with nice features like automatic drains (instead of manual draining every 10 minutes), better gauges, etc. These units likely weigh in over 500 pounds so moving them is a bit more of a challenge, many have 3 phase electric motors which can to hard to power without expensive phase converters or new motors from a typical home single phase power system, etc. Its just up to you to decide where to go from here. The process of filling the tanks themselves is basicly a simple matter of connecting a hose and turning some knobs compared to compressor selection.

SCUBATODD,

IF you want an opinion on my compressors from a very active diver -- scroll down this subject " compressors Boost.... on page 2 to the description " New Compressor buyer started June 18 2009 and read to the last entry on August 24 by member jbscuba
Jim Shelden

I have a 3 friends who partnered up to buy a medium sized Mako from a local fire department. They spent around $3500, and are very active divers. Doing their own fills for them and their wives, the compressor will pay for itself in less than 1 1/2 years.

OP, research the heck out of every aspect of having you're own compressor first. Get the Oxyhacker's guide. Read all of the forums and keep on asking questions. You'll find that once you get a compressor, you'll want to get a storage system, and then you'll need to build a panel, and then you'll want to start blending your own gases, and then you'll want to build a nitrox stick, then a trimix stick, and then, and then (it doesn't stop).

If you're mainly a recreational air diver, I would follow someone else's advice and get a butt-load of 80's and have them filled all at once. However, if you see yourself either diving a lot more or getting into Nitrox and then maby Trimix, your own compressor (and eventually fill operation) may not be a bad idea.

Someone already said that it's not about saving money because YOU NEVER WILL when it's all said and done. That being said, I have about $8K in my set up and have never ever regretted it one second. I bank 32% using my nitrox stick and use that to top of Helium to blend Trimix. I just fill tanks for myself, my wife and kids. I fill when I want and not based on my LDS's schedule. The main reason I started even thinking about my own setup was that my LDS was giving my crappy fills - 2700 psi on doubles and deco bottles. And forget decent fills on steel HP's bottles!

I never fill tanks for others. Not necessarily because of liability reasons but because I don't feel like running my compressor all that extra time just to save THEM a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom