Port Douglas Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ravisurdhar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be in Port Douglas with family approximately 1st week of June and I was looking to do some diving, since I've never been to the Reef before. I have PADI Open Water and NAUI Advanced certifications, with 1100 minutes bottom time. I love doing wrecks, as well as shallower diving (more color and more bottom time!). I definitely like seeing bigger fish (sharks!), and I absolutely love rays and eels. :)

Since I'll be with family, I'll probably have to do day-trips, since they'll want to see me in the evenings...but I might be able to get away for an overnight liveaboard. :)

Based on the above, any recommendations for dive operators?

Winter is high season, right? So I should book ASAP?

Oh, I forgot to mention: the family might want to come out and snorkel while I dive, so a boat with a cheap snorkeler rate would be nice. I've seen numbers in the AU$180 range...that seems ridiculous, considering you don't really have to supervise snorkelers...

Replied to your e-mail before I had seen this post. Prices in Port for the day trips all about the same. Theres no really "cheap" option in Port Douglas.

Have laid out a few option in the e-mail I sent you though. Poseidon would be my pick as its better priced and caters well for snorkellers as well as being the only boat with a dedicated dive tender able to get you to better sites away from the snorklers and shallows (drift and wall dives).
There is Quicksilver whick is a big boat (upto 300 pax) that goes to a pontoon. Great for families but pricey, and quite ecxpensive if you are going just to dive.

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Poseidon Port Douglas Diving - Great Barrier Reef

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Australia Diving - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef

Hi there, I jointly run a dive centre, Blue Dive in Port Douglas. And having worked in the Red Sea for 7 years and now in Port Douglas, in my experience, all the boats out of Port are well run dive boats, it's just that kind of destination.

You'll have a great day on Calypso and Poseidon, but also on the other dive boats in town.

As a dive centre we take our guests on the boats named as they are both professional well run dive operations who care about their customers. See them reviewed on Trip Advisor and you will see the positive customer feedback.
Youll have agreat time diving here...best wishes.

Mark Fraenkel, Blue Dive, Port Douglas

Thanks Kevin and Mark, I appreciate it. Seems like I can't really go wrong with any of them.

Should I book the trip through a dive center (I need gear), or directly with the boat operator?

I did the outer reef snorkeling thing with Quicksilver about fifteen years ago and it was pretty good. I wasn't dive certified then, and my father picked up the bill, so I can't really comment much on anything other than the general entertainment factor.

Quicksilver Great Barrier Reef Cruises & Tours - Quicksilver Cruises Port Douglas & Cairns

There at the Marina Mirage in Port Douglas and the boats leave from there too. Look for the massive silver ones.

They do day trips to the outer reef where you can do a dive, snorkel, mini sub, snorkel tours etc.
They also do a day trip to the Low Iles which is an island.
I dont think they do diving at Low Ilses anymore though. Not sure but the outer reef yes they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom