Port Douglas / Cairns Day Trip Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I are going on a 4-week tour of Australia this year for our 40th anniversary. We will be staying in Port Douglas from October 14 to 17, 2023.

I am a 64-year-old "vacation only" diver now with a basic PADI certification. Probably 75 dives in 40 years, I didn't log them. Diving the GBR has always been on my wish list ever since I watched Jacques Cousteau on TV as a child.

I would like an experience that is not pedestrian (and not on an over-worn reef) but it does not need to be super exotic either. Price (within reason) is not really a concern, since this is probably the only time I will be diving the GBR. The wife will be snorkeling only. What outfits/packages and dive destination would you recommend for us? Willing to travel the hour to Cairns by car from Port Douglas if need be. Boat with restroom facilities desirable. Thank you!

My wife and I took a day trip with Quicksilver Cruises in 1988. I just did a quick search and found that the company is still in business and runs daily trips from Port Douglas.

I’ve been diving since ’74 and had visited the GBR before, and have been back several times. My wife was, (and remains,) a non diver. I found the dive offered to be the most mediocre of the dives that I’ve ever done on the GBR, but my wife was simply delighted with the snorkeling experience. The diving and reef was indeed pedestrian and I cannot imagine that the reef is any healthier now than it wast 35 years ago. It may not meet your stated needs, but it’s nice to know that the option exists if you cannot find a superior offering.

The trip out to the reef was aboard what was then a new, shiny, fast, stable, comfortable cat and all crew and staff were tremendously courteous, enthusiastic, and cheerful.

I guess that a charter with Quicksilver would be more appealing to your wife than it would be for you. However, if your wife does not particularly care for long rides on rocking, unstable boats, and is easily impressed with any chance to snorkel in a new location, she may enjoy the experience that Quicksilver offers, and you’ll get the satisfaction of making her happy. Worked for me just fine.

Back
Top Bottom