Popularity of Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

As a newbie diver, and someone with limited international travel experience, I was wondering if someone might shed some light on the incredible popularity of Cozumel? It seems to be the "standard" dive trip for so many, I was wondering what all the fuss was about?

Are the dives that much better than other places? Is ithe boats, the hotels, the place itself? Some combination of all these things?

Just curious.

Thanks.

For us (husband & I), it is the most inexpensive trip to take where you get great weather, excellent diving, and good food. There are better diving locations, but they cost a lot more and sometimes lack activities to enjoy when you arent in the water.

I've been there twice and the main reason we go is convience and price. From Houston, the travel time is about 4-5 hours from home to hotel. We left the house at 8:00am, and was checked in by 12:30pm. We were both in the water by 2:30. The total cost including air, 5-nights hotel (no AI), diving and eating was $1800 for the both of us. Compared to other places, I've spend $1800 on air fare alone for one person!

The diving is NOT the best diving in the world. Don't get me wrong, it does have good diving and lots of marine life. Me having started my diving experience in the South Pacific ruined me for life. I wished I had started out with something like Cozumel and then work my way up to the S. Pacific. It's a great place to start, pretty easy dives and good food.

PerroneFord:
Hello,

As a newbie diver, and someone with limited international travel experience, I was wondering if someone might shed some light on the incredible popularity of Cozumel? It seems to be the "standard" dive trip for so many, I was wondering what all the fuss was about?

Are the dives that much better than other places? Is ithe boats, the hotels, the place itself? Some combination of all these things?

Just curious.

Thanks.

When I first got certified, many years ago, I asked some of the "been there, done that" divers where they would go if they were only going to be allowed one more dive trip. Nearly everyone said Cozumel! I have now become one of those "been there, done that" divers - and I must agree.

Yes, there are better places to go for wrecks, tropical fish, etc., but you can't beat:

1. convenience (lots of flights and close to the US)
2. price (very inexpensive compared to other locations)
3. bang for your buck (lots of big fish, healthy reefs in the Marine Park)
4. safety (the island is safer than most US cities and certainly safer than many parts of the World)
5. friendly people, most of whom speak English.

I LOVE COZUMEL! click on the link below to see why.

Personally, I hated the look and feel of Cozumel on land. I prefer staying in Playa Del Carmen and taking the ferry over to do some dives in Coz. I also do some dives from Playa and you have the cenotes nearby.

If I was just to go strictly for diving, I might choose to go with an all-inclusive on Coz, then dive my butt off so all I wanted to do was sleep when I got back to the hotel.

Playa del Carmen has a good nightlife, restuarants and I feel a better mix of people. Just my 2¢.

I agree w/ hermosadive, Playa was much better from a city standpoint. I dove both Cozumel and Playa and enjoyed them both but would probably stay w/ Playa on my dives.

Doug

Incredible clear water.
Warm water.
Dramatic Reefs.
Nice sunsets.
3 1/2 hours and a 5 minute cab ride, we are there.
Good restraunts.
Blue XT Sea. The best Dive Op, anywhere!

We have been diving many places. Cozumel is our home away from home. Many of our favorite restaurants anywhere in the world are in Cozumel. The diving is outstanding. If you will venture off the "regular path" of most divers you will experience reefs beyond belief. The northern and most southernly sites of the island are the most dramatic IMO but they are not for the novice diver. They are deep and can have rapidly changing currents. The people of Cozumel are so very hospitable. I do however believe that MX is ruining their crown jewel. Too many people these days and way too many cruise ships. Once you make a trip to Cozumel your hooked, or at least we were.

It is an addiction. Great people, great food and a relaxing time. And the cost is very affordable. For my fiance and I 1200.00 for both of us round trip from Dallas with room. That is for 8 days. You cant do that here in the U.S. Where could you go wrong? 100 ft vis avd good diving. Sure beats murky Texas lakes any day.

PerroneFord:
Hello,

Just curious.

Thanks.

I have to echo what the others have said. Are my wife and I addicted to Cozumel. You could say that. We have dove in others places like Cayman, Jamacia, Costa Rica and all over Florida.

We have been to Cozumel 15 times and now own a home there. Because the reefs are swept by currents so much of the coral and sponges look like they're on steroids compared to some place like Grand Cayman.

There are such a variety of reefs to dive from deep walls to flat reefs. The current is something that you get used to. And unlike the Cayman Islands where banking is the #1 business, diving is the #1 business in Cozumel.

The dollar vs. the pesos makes diving cheaper there. If I just wanted cheap I could go to Lake DeGray in Southern Arkansas which is only a two hour drive or Destin, Fl.

When you get just two or three blocks back off the main square you will find the people very friendly and they're not standing outside hawking their wares.

Back on 30th and 65th you will find small places to eat. This is where the residents of Cozumel eat. From our house it's a block to three restatuants. Plastic chairs, tables, and ceiling fans. The food is excellent and you need to know a little Spanish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom