Poppet for Scubapro BA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacked_72

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've got a nice Balanced Adjustable second stage that had the old style plastic-on-metal rod in it. I'd like to replace it with the new poppet so that i can use it. Do I need a new balance chamber or can i get away with just changing to the new style s-wing poppet?

Thanks.

I've got a nice Balanced Adjustable second stage that had the old style plastic-on-metal rod in it. I'd like to replace it with the new poppet so that i can use it. Do I need a new balance chamber or can i get away with just changing to the new style s-wing poppet?

Thanks.

When Scubapro made the conversion to the S-wing poppet, they included a new balance chamber in the conversion kit. I believe part of the problem with the older design is the single poppet o-ring had a tendency to collect sand and grit and scratch the sealing surface of the balance chamber. The new design adds a "scraper" ring to protect the inner sealing ring and surface. So the easy answer is get a new balance chamber. That said, I have reused many an old balance chamber. If they did not leak, all was good. If they did leak, the leak was very small and easy to repair (with that new balance chamber).

It is also a good idea to have a new spare lever on hand as, occasionally, older levers may not work with the new S-wing poppet.

Awap, its been a while since I've torn in to my Scubapro stuff. Have any sources for parts opened up lately or is it still ebay and trading for items such as this?

Awap, its been a while since I've torn in to my Scubapro stuff. Have any sources for parts opened up lately or is it still ebay and trading for items such as this?

A check with VDH might yield something (Shop Online). Plus, being in Dallas, you could stop by Scubatoys. When they first opened, Larry was going to sell parts but that looks like it has changed.

Stuff still shows up on ebay with some regularity, sometime at pretty good prices. Good to stock up when the deal is favorable, even when you don't need it right now.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info Awap. No, Scubatoys won't sell parts. I don't think they've been a Scubapro dealer for years, but they have a cool Scubapro seal in their floor. About two years ago I was in there trying to buy Trident seats and they wouldn't even sell those. Probably they don't want the liability, but my experience has been that I do a far better job rebuilding my stuff than having it done.

Jacked,

See this thread for a method of testing the balance chamber:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...0-strange-free-flow-take-2-a.html#post6130945

Re the lever compatibility issue, most likely you will not have any problems as the incompatible levers usually came from older 109s. Have a look at the image below. If you don't have a lever like the one labeled "large foot" then you should be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom