POP Ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charles R

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Why am I now seeing POP up ads whylie searching these forums. I just knoticed them in the last couple of weeks? Anyone else getting these? It only happens on this board and they are small pop up adds for diving related things????:confused:

Why am I now seeing POP up ads whylie searching these forums. I just knoticed them in the last couple of weeks? Anyone else getting these? It only happens on this board and they are small pop up adds for diving related things????:confused:

If you're seeing popups, your system has been compromised. It's most likely a "Browser Helper Object" (usually a toolbar of some sort), although it could be a virus.

If you're running Internet Explorer, you can try turning off BHO's (this is from Microsoft):

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Internet Options.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check box.
  5. Restart Internet Explorer.

If you're seeing popups, your system has been compromised. It's most likely a "Browser Helper Object" (usually a toolbar of some sort), although it could be a virus.

If you're running Internet Explorer, you can try turning off BHO's (this is from Microsoft):

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Internet Options.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check box.
  5. Restart Internet Explorer.
Would that also stop pop-ups for Scubaboard notifications like PMs and such?

Odd that he gets them only here on SB; would an infection do that?

I use Avast.com free anti-virus and think it's far superior to Notor or Mcafee. For spyware, I use...
I have to manually update & run each once a week or so on the free programs, but they certainly seem to work well. I think both are indicated as each seems to pick up on some that the other may not.

Would that also stop pop-ups for Scubaboard notifications like PMs and such?

Actually, it won't stop any popups that are part of a page or website, it stops "Browser Helper Objects" which are programs that are installed as add-ons for Internet Explorer.

Some like the Google Toolbar are handy, but others are nastier and either silently monitor your activity, redirect you to sites you didn't want to go to, or show targeted advertising.

Terry

Hmmm...I run AdAware, which comes up clean. Virus scan also comes up clean.
In the course of a day I visit many different web sites. This only happens at ScubaBoard, no other place.
Could this be related to your problem of unstable login redirection?
Your suggestion would stop this Third Party BHO. But, I can't remember, will that also disable add-in toolbars and extensions some folks want?

What is the pop up for? what websites come up? this may help lead us to a cuplrit. Also what ie toolbars have you installed?

Hmmm...I run AdAware, which comes up clean. Virus scan also comes up clean.
In the course of a day I visit many different web sites. This only happens at ScubaBoard, no other place.
Could this be related to your problem of unstable login redirection?
Your suggestion would stop this Third Party BHO. But, I can't remember, will that also disable add-in toolbars and extensions some folks want?

Yes, it disables all the extra toolbars and extensions, although not the various content handlers like flash, video, etc.

What's on the popups?

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom