Video lights on all the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not possible with "action" cameras like GoPro/Ace Pro/DJI, as it requires a hot shoe, correct?

A direct connection to the strobe is only needed if you're triggering a strobe mode in a hybrid light. Typically via optical LED trigger in the hot shoe or using the onboard strobe, then transmitted via fiber optic cable. Electronic flash cords using a bulkhead in the housing are less common now.

Most video lights should provide plenty of light for action cam photos, but auto shutter speeds may be slow enough to cause motion blur depending on the model and subject speed.

Lance

This is not possible with "action" cameras like GoPro/Ace Pro/DJI, as it requires a hot shoe, correct?

Of course it is as the lights are on when I take photo's. I used video lights on my Go Pro before I got the TG6.

Of course it is as the lights are on when I take photo's. I used video lights on my Go Pro before I got the TG6.
OK thanks. I guess I was referring to light that was triggered at the point of the photo (when the shutter was pressed) versus always on, but I understand now.

With a GoPro, you can shoot wide angle video using only ambient light from dawn to dusk. You will only really require a video light for night dives.

The following 2 videos are shot on a GP11 using only ambient light.

Diving Socorro, March 2024

Diving Galapagos, March/April 2024
The latest GoPros can record in log 10bit right?

Supposed to be good particularly for wide, ambient footage with no artificial light required?

What is the most likely cause of lithium battery fires on boats?

Probably people constantly charging 100+Wh of batteries for every single dive, including while everyone is asleep, because they insist on having their double flood video lights on for the whole dive, every dive 👎🏼

Back
Top Bottom