POP Ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where in the heck are these ads? I need some direction. I'm literally at a desktop I rebuilt last weekend that other than Visual Studio 2008 and Expression Web 2008 which installed the .NET 2.0 framework the other Active X controls came from SB or the MS site and all the Flash updates were done via the links on SB.

I need some drill down so I can duplicate the issue :) Please :)

To be clear, No, I don't write or maintain SB in any form except as a Mod... this is a very confused geek and network engineer who can't seem to duplicate the issue other users are having :wink:

Other things to help out is which SB skin are you using and what browser version. I'm flavored here, so pick it and I can look it.

Cbulla,
The ads are at the bottom of the page, right below the "Quick Style Chooser".
But they will expand on the screen even if you have not scrolled to the bottom. I am using Scubaboard Blue. They ads are not all Flash. I think only the flash ads are causing the problem. They are Google ads for cars, movies, etc, probaby whatever is relevent to the content of the page.

I however do not have the same problem on another computer, so it is computer dependent.
The PC with the problem is XP running IE7.05730.11IS.
PC running OK is Vista .. higher version of IE7
You may not see the ads because they are filtered for you.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help you more. But, I won't be around for a few days. To start I'd look at any changes that occured about the time I started reporting the "Thank you for logging in..." redirect problem. That is also about the time I started getting the ads. It is also about the time I started getting all the strange 3rd Party Cookies when I'd be browsing in a thread.

Prior to that I had no troubles at all that couldn't be blamed on something local. But, I've made no changes in anything except to update MS XP as the automatic updates come through. Today I made my first change when I removed the VPN program that had been there for years.

Frank is correct though. As I posted earlier problems of this nature are almost always caused by the web site but are seen in only certain computers with certain specific configurations. Solving those kinds of problems is one of the "privileges" of the techie.

Okay I am a light weight in this discussion to be sure - reading and trying to follow, but I have cleaned some pesky bugs off of machines that Ad-Aware missed with...
The home of Spybot-S&D!

It's free to download, run, then remove if it doesn't help.

Hi Don,
It isn't spyware. The ads really are on the bottom of the SB pages. They are google ads. It's just that the flash ones are acting badly by expanding on some machines when they shouldn't be.

Hi Don,
It isn't spyware. The ads really are on the bottom of the SB pages. They are google ads. It's just that the flash ones are acting badly by expanding on some machines when they shouldn't be.
Well, if you don't think a tracking cookie or something be triggering them, ok. I logged out on IE and looked. This is all I see...

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen02.jpg
    Screen02.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 31
That is the right place Don. Those particular ads are not Flash though and pose no problem. Google will put a flash ad in there sometimes. That is when the problem comes up.
Thanks for checking guys.. much appreciated.
Now I am going to leave this computer for a while and go dive!

That is the right place Don. Those particular ads are not Flash though and pose no problem. Google will put a flash ad in there sometimes. That is when the problem comes up.
Thanks for checking guys.. much appreciated.
Now I am going to leave this computer for a while and go dive!
Yeah, I can get some Flash ads on the left with the pouting model and the top with the "Scuba Style," but never at the bottom after several refreshes?

I'd had some tracking cookies that Ad-Aware could not deal with, only identify. I figured out how to manually block those privacy invasions - as if Google doesn't already know everything about my surfing and all; I can't help but wonder if your experiences are tied to your tracking cookies?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 24
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back