pony up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasrm2:
Here's my 2 cents;

Go with independant duals.
For a few bucks more than the cost of a pony, reg. and pg, you can get a set of bands and an other full sized tank(a 30 is going for about the same as an 80).
The pluses; better balance, more air and ready to upgrade with a manifold in the future.
The only minus in my opinon is they weigh more out of the water.
One other minus:
When travelling to dive, you would need to bring them both with you, and even then you'd only have redundancy for the first dive of the usual two-tank dive.

Having read several of these threads, I'm siding with the "pro-pony" side -- buddies are great, but there are very few people I would trust my life with, and none of them are divers.

Not to mention, also the practice of several dive operators I've gone with to use a "loose buddy" system, in that your ascent is done away from the group unless there's someone else that is at the same psi as you.

MikeFerrara:
Check out what the IANTD "Technical Diving Encyclopedia" has to say about how to evaluate an equipment configuration.
Yea, its only one of many books I ALREADY have, and a pony is acceptable in certain conditions. The point I'm trying to make is that there are many different dive profiles...equip for the dive.
MikeFerrara:
Also you could email Tom directly or even stop over to TDS and PM him or ask him in an open thread.
What is it you want me to ask him?
MikeFerrara:
Also, for certain IANTD classes like the Deep Diver class or the Advanced Nitrox a redundant supply is required and a poney bottle is a permitted option but certainly not recommended over anything else.

Page 29 IANTD Deep Air...

"A secondary gas supply cylinder with a minimum capacity of 30 cu. ft (850 free liters) capacity is required if your primary cylinder(s) is not equipped with a dual outlet valve. The Maximum Operating Depth (MOD) of the secondary air supply cylinder must not exceed the maximum depth of the dive and should contain equivalent or less inert gas percentage as the bottom mix in the primary cylinder(s)."

MikeFerrara:
As an IANTD instructor, though, I wouldn't permit it cuz it hoses everything up. LOL

I would like to know how a pony bottle "hoses everything up", I truly am interested in your opinion on this.

If I'm diving deep on a large single (I prefer doubles), but I have found sometimes a single is a better option than doubles, I personally use an H-valve. BUT...I also may or may not bring a pony, its MY perogative, I'm fully trained in its proper use and fully capable of utilizing it for myself or someone else should I come across someone in need of air.

Like any piece of dive equipment, you have not only a responsibility, but rather an obligation to yourself and others to ensure you are properly trained and comfortable in its use.

I agree a pony is NOT to be used as a crutch, but under certain circumstances I feel it is a must...for ME.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't stage diving just another term for using a bottle as a pony to extend air time?

Another quote...this one is from the IANTD Technical Diver Encyclopedia
..."Always remain an individual and use your freedom of choice"
..."Remember that the final word on configuration must be YOURS"

Back
Top Bottom