Pony tanks Good or Bad? - POLL

Are pony tanks Good or Bad ?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverlady:
1) Do I think that there is a place for pony tanks in diving in general? (not just the type of diving I choose to do but looking at diving as a whole.)
Yes. I think there are definitely times when a pony bottle would be necessary. (ie solo-diving)

2) Do I think that having a pony bottle on a dive on the dive is a good thing?
Yes, if used correctly and I mean not where the diver is extending bottom-time with the use of a pony but as an emergency, back-up air source.
Diverlady

But consider a third case that I think is where Pug is coming from. You only dive with a buddy. Both you and your buddy are very safety conscious divers (having listened to UP or having learned the hard way, as he did). You plan your dive, dive your plan, and plan your gas management so the each diver is always carrying enough back gas, efficiently packaged, for both diver to finish the dive safely. In that case, the safety margin added by a pony is less than the probability of winning the megabucks lottery. And all the downsides of unnecessary gear are strapped to your back or hanging from your D-rings.

I think I understand. But I'm going to keep my solo diving, my fair weather wife/#1buddy, and all my other buddies including the wide range of boat pickups.

awap:
But consider a third case that I think is where Pug is coming from. You only dive with a buddy. Both you and your buddy are very safety conscious divers (having listened to UP or having learned the hard way, as he did). You plan your dive, dive your plan, and plan your gas management so the each diver is always carrying enough back gas, efficiently packaged, for both diver to finish the dive safely. In that case, the safety margin added by a pony is less than the probability of winning the megabucks lottery. And all the downsides of unnecessary gear are strapped to your back or hanging from your D-rings.

I think I understand. But I'm going to keep my solo diving, my fair weather wife/#1buddy, and all my other buddies including the wide range of boat pickups.

Yes, however, I'm not just looking at one type of diving (ie buddy diving). I'm trying to consider it as a whole. There is a need in some situations for a pony bottle to go along. Not necessarily in every situation as some Boardmembers have pointed out. Some don't take one when soloing to less that say, 50ft. That seems like a reasonable, responsible decision based on their dive plan. Unnecessary gear is not taken so any hazard of such gear would be avoided.

However, weighing the downsides of unnecessary gear vs the possibility of needing an alternate air source to me is individual and I don't believe there is a wrong or right involved. If someone chooses to take a pony, he/she feels the risk of entanglement etc. is decidedly less than the potential need of an AAS based on their personal experience and it's not my place to argue that person's decision should I weigh those factors differently.

Diverlady

diverlady:
Yes, however, I'm not just looking at one type of diving (ie buddy diving). I'm trying to consider it as a whole. There is a need in some situations for a pony bottle to go along. Not necessarily in every situation as some Boardmembers have pointed out. Some don't take one when soloing to less that say, 50ft. That seems like a reasonable, responsible decision based on their dive plan. Unnecessary gear is not taken so any hazard of such gear would be avoided.

However, weighing the downsides of unnecessary gear vs the possibility of needing an alternate air source to me is individual and I don't believe there is a wrong or right involved. If someone chooses to take a pony, he/she feels the risk of entanglement etc. is decidedly less than the potential need of an AAS based on their personal experience and it's not my place to argue that person's decision should I weigh those factors differently.

Diverlady

This is one response where I agree completely.

Every diver is and should be responsible for one self. If you choose not to have a redundant air supply and you run into trouble, you better have a plan to rescue yourself. I have learned that it is not feasible to rely on a buddy to pull your butt out of a fire. They simply may not see you or understand what is going on.

So is a pony bottle necessary on every dive, no. But there are dives where they are necessary.

DSAO

Dive Source:
Basically that people can express an opinion without having to be intimidated or scolded one way or another by other more senior or militant members.

Well what's the point then? :grin:

Seriously though, in my very limited experience with ponys they seem to be a crutch. A substitute for better planning, if you will. There are several people on this board that are strong advocates of better planning and gas management for recreational diving. Normally recreational dives are planned soley on NDL and gas requirements are given little thought. Ponys then become a solution to the problem of not planning your gas needs. Just my two cents.

I would say that first this depends on the size that you are using. Most people simply grab the largest one available for larger air capacity. This should not always be the method of decision. The bottle should be proportionate, first of all to your body size and secondly to your physical fitness and strength. If the pony is going to tip you over, either go smaller or simply forget it.
Alot of people use ponies for alot of different reasons. I think that the most popular two are:[ul]
[li]selkf-sufficiency
[li]safety stop with highest allowable mix.
[/list]
Both are completely valid reasons, however I think that the first should be combined with the second when applicable. Alot of divers I see have a 19 or 30 cu. ft. pony x-bracketed, or pin-mounted to their tank with the obvious first and second stage. Fine so far. This tank will however remain full for most of the dive season with the same air. If you are carrying all that extra air why not use it on the line? You are at the end of your dive anyways, and I understand that you have a second dive, then do this on that second dive. Most people (not diving doubles) are always complainig about how they are limited by their air supply before the no decompression limit. I am not one to envoke any diving style on anyone else, but how can you justify the cost of the $500 CDN for the bottle & reg without ever using it.
Lastly, if you are nitrox certified, and don't have your advanced nitrox, put a 40 mix in it and use it as a further margin of safety on top of what your computer is telling you. You will feel alot more secure at the end of the dive.
So while a pony is anything but last on my recommendations for dive gear list, they definetely are a good idea. They also help keep the diver familiar with switching regs so that when your buddy rips your teeth out along with your primary, you aren't the first thing on the surface

I would be a little more in favour of ponies if the first time I used one it didn't nearly cost me my job.

That pony mounted to the side of your tank forms a perfect line trapper, rope trapper, kelp trapper.

With a proper set of doubles the manifold and hose configuration protects the area between the tanks.

So if you back mount your pony... with reg up or reg down makes no difference... practice reaching back to see if you can remove a trapped line.

I vote "yes".

However, I temper that vote with:

1. The pony must not present more entanglement risk. This means you have to sling it, otherwise it does, and there is no way around that fact.

2. The pony must be of sufficient size for a normal ascent, with safety stop, from any depth you intend to dive at. For most recreational NSR dives, this is a 19cf bottle.

Genesis:
I vote "yes".

However, I temper that vote with:

1. The pony must not present more entanglement risk. This means you have to sling it, otherwise it does, and there is no way around that fact.

2. The pony must be of sufficient size for a normal ascent, with safety stop, from any depth you intend to dive at. For most recreational NSR dives, this is a 19cf bottle.

I guess I forgot to mention that I would never mount a pony in such a way, for the above reasons as well as not being to turn it on and off as easily, and the front mount (sling) method is alot more comfortable, provides a nice hand rest and doesn't throw your trim off to one side...

i have to agree with diverlady that it is up to the individual diver wether or not they take a pony with them..if they feel that having one with them outways the risk of entanglement then its up to them..as another member pointed out as well your buddy doesnt always see whats going on and if you have to react without his or her help then its good to have aa source to help you ..its all depends on the type of dive and the diver..its a personal choice..some of you divers swear by doubles and thats fine others will swear that a pony saved their life at one time or another..i think though that it should be used for why it was made.in an emergency..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom