Pony tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've done a little research as I was sure this had been asked a million times but I still can't quite make up my mind.

What are you guys using as pony tanks for casual diving off the Florida coast? Dives normally do not exceed 100ft and on average are in the 60-80ft range.

Are you mounting the pony bottle to your tank or slinging it? Any discomfort slinging?

19CF seems to be the go-to size. 30cf is way too big for my liking, but I'm considering something like a 13cf.

This is simply a redundant setup in case of buddy separation. The only solo diving will be quick purposeful dives in shallower water.

Pictures are very appreciated!

My current setup:

Worthington HP100
Zeagle Ranger
Atomic B2
Atomic SS1 Safe Second
No lead weight

I'm in west palm too..I could even show you my set up.. or you could even borrow it. A 13 cu-ft is more than enough. Tomorrow, I;ll be diving solo in 90, so with no buddy to worry about and no planned deco. i am very comfortable taking my kid's 6 cu-ft pony. I would recommend a 13 for no-deco diving in 100...

I have a 13. It can take me from ~90 ft to the surface with a 30 ft per minute ascent, mid water stop and safety stop. For those who say, "but if the diver is stressed'...I'll blow off the stops and ascend faster. I did do so for over 10 years. The weight, buoyancy and size of a 13 aluminum is invisible.

I sling a 19 cu ft pony and use it to recreational limits. I'd be able to make a normal ascent with a safety stop at twice my usual SAC and surface with about 5 cu ft remaining. A 13 cu ft pony would be pushing this scenario, especially if there was any delay in leaving the bottom. I would have no problem in using a 13 cu ft pony to 100 ft, reasonable leeway there with about a 3 cu ft cushion. I rarely even notice I have my pony with me.

Good diving, Craig

19 cubic foot pony attached to my main cylinder via a Quick Draw bracket device. pony bottle bracket,quick draw brackets,ultimate ponybottle bracketscuba,dive,dive equipment Rather than a separate tank strap for the pony, I just use the upper tank strap on my Zeagle BC for the Quick Draw bracket. It works nicely and is very easy to remove from the main cylinder and BC (takes about 5 seconds).

I got the 19 cf pony since it was the same price as the 13 cf tank and weighed only slightly more. I've been using it for 3 years or so

half a dozen spare airs.... (I'm kidding)

13-19, larger being better. the difference in carrying either is negligible. basically, its the WTF????, I'm out and up!!! 60'/min to the top floor (it was good enough for the last 20 years I've been doing this), and diving is over for a day or more.....

I've done a little research as I was sure this had been asked a million times but I still can't quite make up my mind.

What are you guys using as pony tanks for casual diving off the Florida coast? Dives normally do not exceed 100ft and on average are in the 60-80ft range.

Are you mounting the pony bottle to your tank or slinging it? Any discomfort slinging?

19CF seems to be the go-to size. 30cf is way too big for my liking, but I'm considering something like a 13cf.

This is simply a redundant setup in case of buddy separation. The only solo diving will be quick purposeful dives in shallower water.

Pictures are very appreciated!

My current setup:

Worthington HP100
Zeagle Ranger
Atomic B2
Atomic SS1 Safe Second
No lead weight

My pony tank swims itself around next to me, if I managed to get tangled it would also help untangle me, and it is smart enough to help prevent me and others from needing it..... Best pony tank is a buddy that you chose carefully, and spend time cultivating...this IS your most important gear choice. It deserves the greatest expenditure of your time, in the choosing and the making sure it will be with you on all dives.

I live here in Florida and just purchased a 13 cf pony bottle for the exact same reasons as you. I will be giving mine a try next week in the keys with my dive buddy. I noticed you have a zeagle, I also have a zeagle brigade and purchased the zeagle pony attachment straps. They seem to work well and keep the pony locked tight to the main tank.

This is simply a redundant setup in case of buddy separation.

I think you need to consider the purpose of the pony and the circumstances where you may need it. Usually we think of it as in use during an OOA and as a way to get to the surface without having to do a CESA. For me it has another use. I have heard that 90% of incidents that occur on the bottom can be resolved on the bottom [freeflow, knocked off mask, loose weight belt, etc.] That is, IF you have the time to resolve them. I carry a 13 usually for that reason. It gives me a couple minutes of extra bottom time to try and figure out what the problem is and whether or not it can be fixed before I bolt for the surface. It helps to hold off the panic for a few minutes. I do mostly recreational diving in less than 40'. I don't really need to rely on much air to get me up. If you are doing a lot of deep diving I would think that you would have stage bottles set up at the safety stop level and would only need a pony to get you, in an OOA situation, from the bottom to the safety stop. So I quess my question to you is --- do you need a stage bottle to get you to the surface or do you need a few minutes of extra air on the bottom to resolve an issue --- so what size would fit your need --- i think the smaller the better.

I carry a 19 cubic foot bottle mounted with a zeagle attachment...why go to a 13 when there is virtually no noticeable difference in weight between a 13 and a 19? might as well have extra air for an emergency!! Just my two bits worth! but then I believe that surfacing with too much air is better than a chance of running out!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom