Pony tank makes me roll to the side -- how to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo8243

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 19 cu ft aluminum pony mounted to the right side of my main AL80 tank with zeagle tank straps. I have tried several different combinations of weights in different locations on my BC but it seems no matter what I tried, the pony wants to roll me onto my back. Where do you normally put a counter-weight to stop this from happening?

ps -- I don't want to sling the pony.

Thanks

My guess would be on the opposite side of the tank. Add 2-3 lbs to the cam band(s) on the opposite side from the pony.

I dive with a 19cuft and mount it the same way you do, just moved 2 lbs to the front left weight pocked and it has been fine. Keep playing with the weights.

I have a 19 cf pony attached by Zeagle pony straps just like you have, jo. I have compensated by tightening my back-inflation bc but it's still not quite right yet.

I think I'm going to experiment with slinging it. One of the guys that I buddied with this past weekend is a slinger. After I saw how it worked, I may try it soon.

I have a 19 cf pony attached by Zeagle pony straps just like you have, jo. I have compensated by tightening my back-inflation bc but it's still not quite right yet.

I think I'm going to experiment with slinging it. One of the guys that I buddied with this past weekend is a slinger. After I saw how it worked, I may try it soon.

FWIW I sling an AL30 on my left and don't have to compensate for it at all. It just hangs/floats there on my left side underneath my arm. I really like being able to reach the valve and 1st stage very easily if needed. I'm also able to tell very easily if it were to develop a leak. It works for me. I also have a couple of dive buddies who do the same thing, one with a 30 and one a 19. They've had the same good luck I have with slinging it.

But if that's not something you want to do, just keep playing with the amount and location of your weights. I'd expect that once you get the -3 lbs or so (tank is -1 and reg is probably around -2) balanced on the other side you won't have the problem with it wanting to roll you over.

FWIW I sling an AL30 on my left and don't have to compensate for it at all. It just hangs/floats there on my left side underneath my arm. I really like being able to reach the valve and 1st stage very easily if needed. I'm also able to tell very easily if it were to develop a leak. It works for me. I also have a couple of dive buddies who do the same thing, one with a 30 and one a 19. They've had the same good luck I have with slinging it.

But if that's not something you want to do, just keep playing with the amount and location of your weights. I'd expect that once you get the -3 lbs or so (tank is -1 and reg is probably around -2) balanced on the other side you won't have the problem with it wanting to roll you over.

Hmmmm...not sure why you quoted me and not the original post.

I was simply expanding upon your comment regarding slinging the pony. I wasn't going to bring it up, but you did so I wanted to share my experience. Nothing sinister behind my intent.

I was simply expanding upon your comment regarding slinging the pony. I wasn't going to bring it up, but you did so I wanted to share my experience. Nothing sinister behind my intent.

Got it. I thought you might have mistakingly thought that I was the original poster.

Anyone ever try the Zeagle Razor 1st stage? It's a combo valve and 1st stage, so it's about half the weight (or less) of a traditional valve+yoke. I wonder if this would help with my problem....

Looking at the different comments, I actually took a similar approach but from a different perspective. Why add more weight? I just removed 2 lbs from my Zeagle Tech from the side I am mounting the pony bottle. Same affect just reducing the amount of weight you have to carry.

Back
Top Bottom