Pony Sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the process of rigging my first pony. (To a non-diver, that sounds really funny!). I went with a 30cf as I want to have enough of a safety margin to have a very high probability of making it up from 130. With my SAC rate, the 30cf will more than suffice. Also, I'm going to sling it on my left side.

If you do a quick look, there is a thread on pony bottle gauges right now. Covers all the options pretty nicely. Personally I use a regular SPG (an OMS) on a 6 inch long hose, so it stays nice and tucked close to the reg, and is very easy to see when slung on the side.

fast5frog:
I like the reasoning you gave for side over back, it makes much more sense...What about a gauge for them, you cant just hook a reg up to them right?

You'll want a gauge. Either a button or a small SPG. I went with an XS Scuba 2" brass and glass SPG on a 6" hose.

As others have commented, the dive profiles you do will make quite a difference. In the days that I did dives mostly in the 80-100' range with no or just very occasional deco, I was fine with a 13 cu ft (I have a very good SAC rate). When I started going to 150-160 with some frequency and occasional short decos, I upgraded to a 19 cu ft. Now, when I dive deeper and incur more frequent and longer deco obligations, I carry my 19 (it's always mounted on my HP120 primary tank) and may butt mount a 30 or 40 cu ft pony as well.

Hey, you have fun riggin' your first pony Divin'Hoosir lol. I'll be doin the same shortly, I just wanted to be sure I do it right....Thanks alot Jimmer, for all the info

I have a button guage on mine and since I sling it now and that works fine. It is not needed to reference the guage in the water because if you have a problem (or your buddy) and you go to the pony then your headed for the surface, dive over. N

My setup is a Luxfer 30 cf tank with a button gauge, attached by a Quick Draw bracket, http://www.quickdrawbracket.com. I barely even notice it is there if I move three pounds to the opposite side. The only downside with this setup is that you can't see the gauge, or air leaks. I depend on my buddy to let me know if it ever starts losing air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom