Pony setup: Octopus or not ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WELL... if you plan your buddy diving properly, you should always have enough gas in the main tank to get both you and your buddy to the surface... If you give him your primary, then there should be enough gas to get him to the surface... and you just breath the pony, we already know that is big enough to get you to the top....If you run low, you can always buddy breath on the safety stop RIGHT?

You could do that if your primary hose is long enough. It could be hard to do with a standard 30 inch hose. You also have to discuss this plan with your buddy ahead of time, because it's not the most obvious choice.

You could do that if your primary hose is long enough. It could be hard to do with a standard 30 inch hose. You also have to discuss this plan with your buddy ahead of time, because it's not the most obvious choice.

Yeah sure, handing off your primary in an air share is definitely very unusual...

Well, if you see a diver with a pony, no octo and you need air, the most obvious would be to go for the pony.

I tell people I dive with to go for my primary and I will use my air 2 or my pony.

I tell people I dive with to go for my primary and I will use my air 2 or my pony.

Yeah, it is counterintuitive to many divers unless they have had DIR or cave training. The bungee keeping my octo around my neck helps convince my insta-buddy that it is either my primary or CESA.

As I would like to get rid of as much unneccesary stuff as possible, I'm considering if I need the octopus anymore. I'm able to supply air to my buddy in an emergency situation. As well as having an independant air souce for myself, in case anything happen to my main airsupply.

You actually did not need the octopus to begin with, if you and your buddy actually do know how to buddy breathe. It is more convenient to have a octo, and it depends what level of convenience you, and your buddy, would like.

The pony is a seperate issue.

The majority of times I use a pony are when I am using a Double Hose reg or a vintage single hose without an octo on deeper dives with a buddy.

Yeah, it is counterintuitive to many divers unless they have had DIR or cave training. The bungee keeping my octo around my neck helps convince my insta-buddy that it is either my primary or CESA.

One time I had someone grab the reg out of my mouth they were not even close to DIR or Cave training. Hell, they were not even my buddy. Don't expect someone to grab your octo if they really want air 'cause they will grab the first one they see, and the bubbles are a giveaway. Oh, by the way, don't expect it to be a controlled evolution until you get them under control.

When learning buddy breathing, we were trained how to take our reg back from an OOA diver who did not want to share my air with me after getting the reg. I think that and cheaper 2nds made the octo popular.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom