Pony set ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaffphine- "For doubles how much weight are we taking about (out of the water), say for AL80's and then for stl100's. "

I brought this question of pony/double set-up this past thursday... very intertersing discussion. The only double set-up that had not left when we were going at this was a set of PST 104 SS BP roughly half full.... they weren't that heavy it surprised me a bit.

Rick,

You echoed what I posted:

Pony means small.

PADI has preverted it.

You're in a tiny minority, therefore you're SOL.

Acknowledge it.

"People who post quotes are at a loss to reason for themselves." -- Roger Oakey

Roak

Ps. It's "facial tissue" not "Kleenex."

I always called them snot rags.

omar

The following terms mean the following things in common use:

Pony bottle -- bottle with independent regulator, used as a bailout device. Usually smaller than the primary gas supply.

Stage bottle -- bottle with the same gas as that in the primary cylinder(s), used to extend dive time. Can be just about any size, though there are conventions in place.

Deco bottle -- bottle with specific mixed used in decompression. Usually, but not always, smaller than the primary cylinders. Again, there are conventions in place.

As I've said before already, you're welcome to call your deco bottle a pony, or whatever else you'd like. Unfortunately, Webster will be your only champion. No one else will understand what you mean, or agree with your use of the word "pony," regardless of your masterful grasp of the english language. The word "pony," in the context of scuba diving, now connotes more than just size. The reason is simple: "pony," by your definition, is not a word that uniquely describes a bottle's function. The fact that the bottle is "small" by some standard is hardly relevant to its use. Most people agree that the intended use of the bottle is significantly more important than its size. We no longer refer to bottles and "big" and "small" -- we refer to them as back, deco, stage, and pony bottles. I will agree that "bailout" is a more specific, more precise term, but, well, the public has already chosen "pony" to mean "bailout," and so it shall be.

roakey -- I gave up on Rick a while ago... I hate to be like GI3 and just state the fact that you can't teach pigs to sing. Some people still like to call their BC's stabilizers, or worse, stabjackets. *shrug*

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
The following terms mean the following things in common use:

Pony bottle -- bottle with independent regulator, used as a bailout device. Usually smaller than the primary gas supply.

Stage bottle -- bottle with the same gas as that in the primary cylinder(s), used to extend dive time. Can be just about any size, though there are conventions in place.

Deco bottle -- bottle with specific mixed used in decompression. Usually, but not always, smaller than the primary cylinders. Again, there are conventions in place.

As I've said before already, you're welcome to call your deco bottle a pony, or whatever else you'd like. Unfortunately, Webster will be your only champion. No one else will understand what you mean, or agree with your use of the word "pony," regardless of your masterful grasp of the english language. The word "pony," in the context of scuba diving, now connotes more than just size. The reason is simple: "pony," by your definition, is not a word that uniquely describes a bottle's function. The fact that the bottle is "small" by some standard is hardly relevant to its use. Most people agree that the intended use of the bottle is significantly more important than its size. We no longer refer to bottles and "big" and "small" -- we refer to them as back, deco, stage, and pony bottles. I will agree that "bailout" is a more specific, more precise term, but, well, the public has already chosen "pony" to mean "bailout," and so it shall be.

roakey -- I gave up on Rick a while ago... I hate to be like GI3 and just state the fact that you can't teach pigs to sing. Some people still like to call their BC's stabilizers, or worse, stabjackets. *shrug*

- Warren
I guess I need to give up on you Warren - despite the fact that a pony [whatever noun you care to insert] is a small one, not related to its function beyond that related to its nature, you will forever remain among those who elect to pervert the language. So be it.
I'd have sent this back-channel, but you don't allow messaging.
Rick

Nobody mentioned it, but quite a few East Coast wreck ops require the use of a pony/bailout/redundant system.
Some folks just don't feel like lugging a week's supply of air in a big heavy set doubles. Those critters are a buttpain; I tore all mine down into singles a long time ago with the exception of a set of 40s & a couple sets of 50s, none of which have isolators. I just dive 'em like singles, with a bailout hanging. I just like the balance of a short set of doubles.
Your mileage will no doubt vary.
:mean:

Back
Top Bottom