Pony set ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm checking out pony's and doubles. For doubles how much weight are we taking about (out of the water), say for AL80's and then for stl100's. Though the posts I keep hearing the 'pony's for poor dive planning and poor buddy skills' as well as 'your spare is on your buddy's back, and their's on your's". Early on I had a not-great experience on a dive and since then everything I could possiably need for a dive is on me, both eq and skills... or I don't dive. Which is one of the bigger reasons why I'm looking for extra gas, and how to rig it. I'm not looking at it as license to go off without a buddy, but from what I've been hearing about NJ/NY wreck diving it's just plain stupid to dive with only a single tank (my current set-up). I want to have enough air at the end of dive for two divers to do an ascent from the max bottom. As for tech dive ambitons, sounds interesting and like something I'd like, but that's at least couple years away.

"Early on I had a not-great experience on a dive and since then everything I could possiably need for a dive is on me, both eq and skills... or I don't dive. " And no one touches my gear, especailly during gear-up time.

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Rick,

Etymology aside, in today's diving vernacular, "pony" refers to a bottle, smaller than the primary cylinder(s), that is specifically used as an emergency device. Further, it's generally accepted that a pony bottle contains the same gas as the primary cylinder(s). The term "pony" also generally connotes that the smallish cylinder is strapped via some convoluted mechanism onto the side of the primary cylinder(s).

A deco bottle, despite being of similar size to a pony, does not contain the primary mix, is not used as an emergency device, and hopefully is not stowed by strapping it to the larger tank.

Etymology is rather irrelevant -- the definitions of words change all the time as the need arises. Many words in modern english mean radically different things than the same words in old english. I'd advise that you put the dictionary down, and avoid referring to your deco bottle as a pony. :wink:

- Warren
and your reference is???
Mine's Webster's
Rick

Rick,

What does Webster's say about "deco bottles?"

- Warren
nothing - and the question is irrelevant to the discussion. To change the definition of "pony" from "small" to something else is the question. I - and the folks I dive with - have been using "pony" to describe a small bottle (or keg, for that matter) for at least three decades of diving. I claim the right of precedence, lexicology, etymology and the very meaning of the word as correct over your johnny-come-lately claim of "common useage" which isn't in fact "common useage" restricting it to some kind of ill defined backup that isn't documented in a single reputable source. The language provides adequate description between "backup" and "deco" without corrupting "pony."
Now say "I'm sorry." and learn English.
Rick

You need to relax, dude -- you'll live longer. Stop making unwarranted personal attacks.

Besides, "useage" is not a word, Webster.

- Warren

I think there’s a point being overlooked here. I do a lot of solo diving and a pony bottle is part of my dive plan ( not the lack of a plan ). A pony bottle is like the air bag in your car. The air bag in your car is not there because you are an irresponsible lousy driver. It’s there in case you have an accident. You don’t drive with the intent to have an accident, but the air bag is nice to have should an accident occur. When I carry a pony bottle on my dives I do not intend to use it as part of the dives air requirements. It’s just there in case.

……………. Arduous ……………..

Rick,Roak,UP,LY etc......Surrender,The pig can sing.And as he leaves a snide"Ponies belong on racetracks" is heard.......

You need to relax, dude -- you'll live longer. Stop making unwarranted personal attacks.

Besides, "useage" is not a word, Webster.

- Warren
That's why it's in quotes... ("useage")
Can't figure out what was a personal attack, though... my attack was on the nature of the claims for the non-standard use of the word "pony" and not directed at any person.
Relaxed... thank you for your concern.
Rick (decidedly not a "dude" by any of its definitions)

Anyway, back to the question.

I'm new around here but I offer up the following.

I dive with a 19cf pony. I sling mine a la deco bottle. Its more comfortable that way for me. I can see it. I can check pressure and control the knob easily. I can keep it or hand it off to a diver that needs it. Most of my buddies have them also. Some sling them others hard mount on their main tanks. It is there for redundancy only. I don't even contemplate using it unless it is needed in an emergency.

I too had a bad experience in the past prior to getting the pony. Besides it being a redundant backup air supply it make me more comfortable and at ease knowing it is there. I have had to leave it behind before and those dives were not as relaxing to me. And that is the name of the game anyway.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom