Pony set ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
A pony is a non-solution to a problem that won't come up with proper planning and buddy skills.
Sometimes, my planning says I need about 13 CF deco gas. That's when I carry my 30 CF pony.
Now I'm really curious to hear objections to that.
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

Sometimes, my planning says I need about 13 CF deco gas. That's when I carry my 30 CF pony.
Now I'm really curious to hear objections to that.
Rick

Me too. Sometimes you might need to take two bottles, eh :)?

Most of us know that there's a difference between a stage/deco bottle and pony bottle. Sometimes, there's confusion with terminology, but pony's are generally regarded as a redundant gas supply. As Roakey said, your redundant gas supply is on your buddy's back, and a disciplined dive plan, a good buddy, and a decent gas management scheme will assure this. If you need more gas, then take more gas -- doubles.

:)

Mike

Oh, now I see... y'all call a tank a "pony" when it's a "backup" feigning true redundance and adequate planning. Down here in the hinterlands, a "pony" is any bottle smaller than about 50 CF, regardless of its use.
So your objections aren't to small bottles, but to "CYA" bottles used in lieu of a real plan.
Under those circumstances I agree.
Rick

A deco/stage bottle is not a pony... they're perhaps physically identical, but used in radically different ways. :D

Kaffphine, forget the pony bottle. Ponies add regs, add straps, add confusion, and add annoyance. Spend a few extra bucks and get a good set of doubles. Doubles provide that redundant gas supply you're after, but have many advantages, and don't really cost much more.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
A deco/stage bottle is not a pony... they're perhaps physically identical, but used in radically different ways.
Not that it makes any difference, but methinks ye have the etymology of the term "pony" confused a bit... it goes way back, even before compressed gas bottles - any "pony" is simply a small version of a normally larger item - pony glass (of beer), pony pack, pony backfield (small, fast backs), pony engine (small switching engine), pony league etc.... a pony bottle or cylinder is simply a small cylinder, and the term is accurately independent of the cylinder's use.
I frequently use a pony as a deco bottle.
Rick

Rick,

Etymology aside, in today's diving vernacular, "pony" refers to a bottle, smaller than the primary cylinder(s), that is specifically used as an emergency device. Further, it's generally accepted that a pony bottle contains the same gas as the primary cylinder(s). The term "pony" also generally connotes that the smallish cylinder is strapped via some convoluted mechanism onto the side of the primary cylinder(s).

A deco bottle, despite being of similar size to a pony, does not contain the primary mix, is not used as an emergency device, and hopefully is not stowed by strapping it to the larger tank.

Etymology is rather irrelevant -- the definitions of words change all the time as the need arises. Many words in modern english mean radically different things than the same words in old english. I'd advise that you put the dictionary down, and avoid referring to your deco bottle as a pony. :wink:

- Warren

And the strict definition of "stage" is a cylinder containing bottom mix that is used to extend bottom time and whose use is part of the dive plan.

And just about everyone that I know of, including myself, is guilty of being loose with the term “stage”, applying it to true stages and deco bottles alike. :)

Roak

Back
Top Bottom