Pony Bottles on NJ Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mean, isn't that what we like to call education?

Right, which is different than what we like to call "experience"

:shocked2:

I can easily reach the valve on my backmounted pony. As long as I mount it upside down, the valve is actually very easy to reach. Lot easier than my main tank.

So let me get this straight. Instead of having one tank in back that you cant see (and in your case cant easily get to) you put two. Why?

As your LAST RESORT GAS (because, its redundant for emergencies and presumably you have no buddy around) why would you NOT want to have it in front of you controllable, visible, and separate. Why put it in back where you cant see, just like your apparently failing backgas?

So let me get this straight. Instead of having one tank in back that you cant see (and in your case cant easily get to) you put two. Why?

As your LAST RESORT GAS (because, its redundant for emergencies and presumably you have no buddy around) why would you NOT want to have it in front of you controllable, visible, and separate. Why put it in back where you cant see, just like your apparently failing backgas?

So let me get this straight? Pony bottles are for divers who are unskilled and uncapable of planning a dive but hey if your going to use one anyway sling it? Let split this thread in to a fundies debate, that should be fun.

I can get to the valve on my main tank. Not super easy but I can.

Why have another tank? Redundancy.

Why put it in back? Lot cleaner and less things off the front. Yes I can reach it easily, I have the pony regulator off of a necklace. If the pony free flows, I can easily see it from the regulator on the necklace and turn off the valve. If I need to use it in an emergency, again the regulator is right there to breath off of.

Not that complicated, obviously having a full set of doubles would be the best. But for non deco dives, a pony is more than enough to give you a couple of minutes, find your buddy if needed to tell him and make a safe ascent. Or if solo diving, lobster hunting etc again it's enough to make a safe ascent and even safety stop. I've run the numbers based on my SAC, so I'm not taking a wild guess. Depending on depth up to 70 ft, I get at least 5 minutes. Deeper than that either use doubles or a good buddy team.

And yes, I know how to plan a dive, I've never come close to running out of air, I can run the numbers before to know whether I should bring a 100, 120, 130, etc. But for fairly simple dives, rather bring a pony and save lugging another 30 pounds. The pony is just for little extra security if the s*** hits the fan so to speak, it's not a crutch because I can't plan a dive.

Different strokes for different folks. Maybe you have some type of deep seated resentment against ponies and that's fine, but if used properly they can easily get the job done.

ScubaFeenD both systems work. Not all BCD's are configured to support slinging a bottle. And yes I know BP and W and so superior to jacket style BCD, so don't even go there:wink:. I happen to agree with you and prefer to sling a bottle, but I am not so closed minded to think it is the only way to go. If a pony is maintained properly and accessible than they are a viable alternative to slinging a bottle. Is slinging a bottle a better alternative, IMHO yes, for a variety of reasons but that doesn't make it the only way. I dive off NJ almost every weekend for 9 months of the year and I sling a bottle on every dive, of course I call it bail out for my rebreather that many of your mentors will tell you will kill me too.:D

Stop with the ad hominem attacks folks. He happens to be a superb diver in the water. The fact that he doesn't have as many dives is only relevant if he were a bad diver, and he simply isn't.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with a pony as long as you can reach the valves, but I too prefer them slung.

Don't take this the wrong way but you ScubaFeenD have'nt been exposed to enough variety of diving to have a opinion on what is best for anyone but yourself.You have taken some courses which teach you there is only one way to dive with certain equipment,because that is what you've been taught does'nt make what any one else is doing wrong.Just my 2 cents, Just Go Diving and try to have some fun!

Back
Top Bottom