Pony Bottle, worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't use it when:
--solo siving 30' or shallower
--shallower than 80, with an apparent good buddy
--if travelling by plane (rent?)
Have you done a Cesa from 80 ft? Have you ever rented a pony at destination?

My pony goes on every dive trip with me. Flown it many places.

Re-read the details of the incident and tell me how more heavy gear would have helped the diver.

It certainly would have helped him sink faster.

Well if the diver had run out of air, he would have to reach for the redundant system, and drop his weights. Even at depth he could orally inject air into his BCD enough to stabilize and allow for a safe ascent.

Everyone is different. My pony usage:
I use it when:
--Solo diving below 30' (did this only once).
--A dive approx. 80' or deeper
--even shallower dives when with a questionable buddy
--when having one doesn't involve plane travel (could always rent one)

Don't use it when:
--solo siving 30' or shallower
--shallower than 80, with an apparent good buddy
--if travelling by plane (rent?)

Yeah I think having one would be a great ease of mind.

If you end up getting a pony bottle, purchase a 40CF Al bottle as it will be useful as a bailout bottle if in future you get into technical diving. Not that much different slinging a 40CF vs 30CF.

I sling a 40CF pony on my deeper recreational dives 70'-130'. I sling a 40CF pony on all my NDL rebreather dives.

Dwayne

Wow, just when you think that this topic has been discussed to death, it pops up again and again and again :)

In addition to what DevonDiver has said: You'll definitely need a pony bottle if you are diving in an area that is known to have fishing nets, fishing lines and/or lobster pots. The danger of entanglement is always there in these areas. Trying to "untangle" yourself from fishing nets, lobster lines or simple fishing lines can take a very long time whereby you can exceed all anticipated air/gas limits and it would become necessary to use the pony bottle.

One matter I take an issue with is that some people advocate relaying/planning/counting on the buddy to assist them especially when in OOA situations. I believe that the better diver should be a self-sufficient diver who can take care of himself independently including in OOA situations. An appropriate/adequate independent air supply is one critical part to achieve self sufficiency.

For the OP, there has been numerous discussions on this matter on SB. It would be worth your while to find these discussions. You'll have to be open minded when reading the discussions and sorting what is relevant and what isn't to make your own "independent and informed" decision on which way to go on this subject.

Last edited:
Wow, just when you think that this topic has been discussed to death, it pops up again and again and again :)

In addition to what DevonDiver has said: You'll definitely need a pony bottle if you are diving in an area that is known to have fishing nets, fishing lines and/or lobster pots. The danger of entanglement is always there in these areas. Trying to "untangle" yourself from fishing nets, lobster lines or simple fishing lines can take a very long time whereby you can exceed all anticipated air/gas limits and it would become necessary to use the pony bottle.

One matter I take an issue with is that some people advocate relaying/planning/counting on the buddy to assist them especially when in OOA situations. I believe that the better dive should be a self-sufficient diver who can take care of himself independently including in OOA situations. An appropriate/adequate independent air supply is one critical part to achieve self sufficiency.

For the OP, there has been numerous discussions on this matter on SB. It would be worth your while to find these discussions. You'll have to be open minded when reading the discussions and sorting what is relevant and what isn't to make your own "independent and informed" decision on which way to go on this subject.

Sorry :depressed: I hate being the guy to bring up and old already discussed topic

I do like using the scenario that you can get tangled down there. Because I know that is often a big danger to divers. I finally bought a knife but that isn't to say I wont get tangled somewhere that requires more effort on my part.

I wonder on what folks here prefer when mounting the pony bottle, valve up or down and why? (Assuming attachment to the main tank)
My valve is at my belly where I can see it easily, see the spg, turn it on if needed - altho I dive with mine on & ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom