Pony Bottle, worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your input and sorry to the OP for this little hijack.

BTW, would slinging work OK with a jacket BC (Scubapro Classic BC and it has a D ring attached to the bottom left and right side as well as a d-rings on the front two lower quadrants)?

Last edited:
If you sling it, hold onto it, and roll - what do you think is going to go wrong? Never had a problem.

If you sling it, hold onto it, and roll - what do you think is going to go wrong? Never had a problem.

Agreed. If there is enough play in it that you can whack yourself in the head, its time to take a second look at your rigging.

I sling mine and once its on, I forget about it. I've done roll entries and stride entries and never had a problem. I am slinging a 19, so maybe this is a bigger issue with a bigger tank, but really, its secured well and not going anywhere.

I open the valve on descent and forget about it. I hardly even notice its there.

I have never understood why people think that.

And it being posted as a "rule" on dive boat's websites does not mean it is ever enforced.

Every Jersey boat I've been on, and that's a lot, require and enforce a redundant 'air' source. Doubles with iso manifold, independant doubles or pony. I wouldn't want to dive these wrecks without one of them, anyway.

I'm a diver that finds immense comfort in being completely self sufficient underwater. I always dive with a buddy, but I never want to feel as though I'm completely reliant on my buddy to be there if things go to hell.

So I carry a pony bottle.

Wow, just when you think that this topic has been discussed to death, it pops up again and again and again :)

In addition to what DevonDiver has said: You'll definitely need a pony bottle if you are diving in an area that is known to have fishing nets, fishing lines and/or lobster pots. The danger of entanglement is always there in these areas. Trying to "untangle" yourself from fishing nets, lobster lines or simple fishing lines can take a very long time whereby you can exceed all anticipated air/gas limits and it would become necessary to use the pony bottle.

One matter I take an issue with is that some people advocate relaying/planning/counting on the buddy to assist them especially when in OOA situations. I believe that the better diver should be a self-sufficient diver who can take care of himself independently including in OOA situations. An appropriate/adequate independent air supply is one critical part to achieve self sufficiency.

For the OP, there has been numerous discussions on this matter on SB. It would be worth your while to find these discussions. You'll have to be open minded when reading the discussions and sorting what is relevant and what isn't to make your own "independent and informed" decision on which way to go on this subject.

How much gas does it take to untangle yourself, answer, you don't know. How much is enough. might take a 40 and you have a 30, might take an 80 and you have a 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom