Pony Bottle: Valve On or Off while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Scubapro Hydros pro back inflate bcd, D Rings in all the proper places. I sling my 30cu diagonally, primarily so there is equal weight distribution between both sides of my body; eliminating the need to counter-balance. If I ever had to hand it off to a distressed diver, my trim would not be out because of counter-balancing.

There’s no need to counter balance. I had an AL30 slung on my left side for a couple of years before I went to an AL40. The 40 hung better but the 30 wasn’t an issue. But then you’ve got an expensive poodle jacket. You may *think* you’ve got D rings in the proper place, but compared to a BP/W, who knows?

Just wanted to jump back on here and say that since my last post on this thread back in January.....I've decided to lose my HP Button gauge and have added a small 2in SPG so that I can confirm my pony pressure anytime during a dive rather than just prior to entering the water.. I dive mostly solo, with my 19CF tank mounted poney valve open and fully charged. My pony is not in any way a part of my primary dive plan or gas management. It's just there in case of an emergency.

5wzCCzr.jpg

Sorry......Double Post.... Did not know how to delete it.

Just wanted to jump back on here and say that since my last post on this thread back in January.....I've decided to lose my HP Button gauge and have added a small 2in SPG so that I can confirm my pony pressure anytime during a dive rather than just prior to entering the water.. I dive mostly solo, with my 19CF tank mounted poney valve open and fully charged. My pony is not in any way a part of my primary dive plan or gas management. It's just there in case of an emergency.

5wzCCzr.jpg
Why not have the SPG on a short hose, near the valve. You could eliminate the longer hose and wrapping

Why not have the SPG on a short hose, near the valve. You could eliminate the longer hose and wrapping
My pony is back / tank mounted.

Where do you wear the pony bottle second stage? The spg on a hose seems potentially superfluous, but it sure would be welcome, if/when you are coming up on it and actually using it in a true emergency.

I wear it on my starboard upper chest area..... My primary / main tank "octo" is an integrated Air 2 on my BC inflator hose......which I am certain that a bunch of folks here hate....... But...... I am primarily solo so everything for me is right where I want it....

Cheers!

Where do you wear the pony bottle second stage? The spg on a hose seems potentially superfluous, but it sure would be welcome, if/when you are coming up on it and actually using it in a true emergency.

The second stage stays on the bottle. Only deployed if needed. A small loop of bungee is useful for holding first stage tight against the bottle.

If you’ve a back-mounted pony (i.e. attached to your single tank), how can you turn it on in the water? Ask a buddy?

A bailout/redundant backup needs to be immediately available when you need it. Moreover you should be very practiced with using it so it’s automatic. It should also have a clearly available pressure gauge, not a button gauge.

A side-slung cylinder fits this well. Take a stage mounting kit with you, rent another ali80 — or smaller tank if available — then all’s fine.
I backmount my 19cf pony on pretty much all dives and can easily manipulate the valve with it hung upside down, reg is clipped cross body with a bungie lead so I can get it to my mouth without u clipping if needed and valve on during dive. I'm not pushing limits like some of you, but i have practiced slow ascents from 100'+ and regularly practice switching to it. I'll practice usage at end of last dive of the trip, and switch and ascend with it. I agree it's "not necessary " but it adds an extra layer of protection from oh SH*T moments, especially when diving with my son so I carry it because it doesn't hurt in anyway

The second stage stays on the bottle. Only deployed if needed. A small loop of bungee is useful for holding first stage tight against the bottle.
Intertube pieces work better as they can hold a larger section to ensure less movement

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom