Pony Bottle: Valve On or Off while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How one buddy does it. My Scuba Pro Black also has d rings in good position to sling a pony.
Both tanks are turned on.

ERNESTO PONY BOTTLE 2.jpg

I carry a 13 on every dive slung with the valve on. I agree with a lot that if your valve is on you could have a small leak at depth and it would quickly deplete the air, with that said, I don't dive solo I dive with a buddy my buddy is normally my wife which is normally not with in arms reach. My thought process is not on the getting me to the surface but getting me to my buddy. I figure when you figure out you have had some kind of malfunction that has eliminated your primary air source it's going to be sudden. I plan my dives, I watch my air during the dives. But I also know I don't take a breath until it's time to take one, which means I will need a breath when I find out it's went to crap, which in turn means I will be swimming to my buddy needing a breath. So how far and with how much exertion can I swim at that point when you need a breath and your buddy isn't looking at you. I don't know but I can guarantee it's further than you with nothing.

Has anyone said Charging it on the boat and then turn it off? Has that been mentioned yet?
I get free flow when swimming against current so I leave it off but charged.

You may *think* you’ve got D rings in the proper place, but compared to a BP/W, who knows?
And yet, when I look at your profile pic, the D-ring on your left shoulder, is the same place as mine, and am guessing you prob have another D-ring on the right strap in same place, just like I do. Multiple D-rings, above and below my ditchable weights, offer many options, just like a BP/W. Some ppl might not be able to use BP/W; things like 9 broken ribs, most of which plated in titanium, might affect one's mobility to turn off valves on the left side. BP/Ws are not the cure all for every diver.

And yet, when I look at your profile pic, the D-ring on your left shoulder, is the same place as mine, and am guessing you prob have another D-ring on the right strap in same place, just like I do. Multiple D-rings, above and below my ditchable weights, offer many options, just like a BP/W. Some ppl might not be able to use BP/W; things like 9 broken ribs, most of which plated in titanium, might affect one's mobility to turn off valves on the left side. BP/Ws are not the cure all for every diver.

That’s my SM rig. I don’t dive a BP/W or doubles anymore (knees couldn’t take the weight of doubles).

If you can’t sling on the left, then you put it on the right. I despise jacket BCs.

That’s my SM rig. I don’t dive a BP/W or doubles anymore (knees couldn’t take the weight of doubles).

If you can’t sling on the left, then you put it on the right. I despise jacket BCs.
The Hydros is not a jacket style BCD. Totally back inflate and no pockets. I can sling bottles on either side, or both sides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom