Pony Bottle: Valve On or Off while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a firm believer of slinging my pony diagonally across my chest. I did this with a 13cu for 70 dives. (I use a 30cu now, slung the same)
How is that better than the more common method for stage bottles, deco bottles and bailout bottles - slung from the side either by clips to D-rings and harness, or by a sidemount-style bungee? Not being argumentative, just interested. Always willing to learn...

I would like to know as well the reasoning for hanging diagonally

I'm new to backplate BCD, XDeep Zen NX, and looking for suggestions on mounting 13 cf pony bottle and reg, which would always be on during any dive. Use of bottle for emergency only. My only use to date was the result of ruptured reg hose at 80 ft, cold water, beginning assent. Lost air almost instantly. My buddy carried a spare tank, enabling normal assent. I've been a believer since.
A 19/30/40/80 slings nicely. A 13 just does not sling well, too short. If you are stuck with the 13 then I would probably back mount it valve down and bring the regulator around behind your neck, something like a 36 inch hose and on a necklace. Use one of those mounts that shares the cam band.

Shhh, do not tell on me, I have a 6 cf that I do indeed back mount. I used it for shallow solo. However, I used it so infrequently and so long ago the last time the tank is several years out of hydro :wink:. Normally, these days I sling on the left side.

James

How is that better than the more common method for stage bottles, deco bottles and bailout bottles - slung from the side either by clips to D-rings and harness, or by a sidemount-style bungee? Not being argumentative, just interested. Always willing to learn...
I like it as it balances my pony between both sides of my body. I do not have to add or remove any trim weight to offset it; and on the unfortunate chance I found a diver in distress that I had to hand the bottle off too, I would not be out of trim. This of course, only applies when carrying one pony bottle.

I like it as it balances my pony between both sides of my body. I do not have to add or remove any trim weight to offset it; and on the unfortunate chance I found a diver in distress that I had to hand the bottle off too, I would not be out of trim. This of course, only applies when carrying one pony bottle.

Yeah, I have heard this before, I just never experienced that myself. I sling an AL80 on my left side and I don't use any trim weights or anything, don't really notice it.

If you use aluminium stages there is negligible effect, which is why everyone uses aluminium stages! Steels are a different matter.

The big advantage of aluminium 80's is that they are generally neutral in the water, actually, fractionally negative. When empty they are positive.

It is significantly easier to hand off aluminium stages than steel. One of the exercises we used to run was to exchange stages between four or five us, one rouge cylinder being steel, whilst holding a 6m stop. The objective was to get one diver overwhelmed with cylinders. The steel was there to mess with everyones head (buoyancy).
Whilst on OC, handling a steel was do-able, on a CCR it is not realistic.
I still have a steel 7 somewhere in the garage, but only use Ali 80's these days.

As is usual, the thread has diverged from the original question.

As is usual, the thread has diverged from the original question.

dive_forum_question.jpg

When a thread irreversibly goes off the rails, that is when I click "Unwatch" to turn off the alerts ... like I just did for this thread.

I guess... but sometimes you learn new things. I like to think of these threads more like a chat in a pub, rather than a legal deposition where your responses need to be very narrowly constrained. And sometimes, the OP gets a better answer from responses to the question that they didn't know to ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom